Floating Candle.




Introduction: Floating Candle.

Easy vay to make very well balanced floating candles.



    • Water Contest

      Water Contest
    • Creative Misuse Contest

      Creative Misuse Contest
    • Tiny Home Contest

      Tiny Home Contest

    42 Discussions

    someone said you should wear gloves when taking this light bulb apart....
    I agree 100%...PLUS, I think you should also have some goggles or safety glasses on too....or anything else that will protect your eyes.

    there is a soldered joint on the side of the bulb....some times, I stress SOME TIMES, if you desolder that spot, plus the spot on the very bottom of the bulb, the bulb will come apart easier. it still will not be easy, & the bulb can still break, but SOME TIMES it comes apart easier.

    Q: there is this stuff called "Goo Gone", the cost of it is like 4000 gallons for a dollar (figuratively speaking)....
    I wonder if that would help to clean the inside of the bulb??

    Goo Gone is what allows you to take stickers off bottles & such...it dissolves the glue that holds the labels on....

    VERY important note.... that was an electric stove. Do NOT do that single pot melting over a gas burner... may also want to use some gloves when removing the bulb glass. Otherwise.. very nice idea, and well executed.(were those fishing weights on the wicks?)

    6 replies

    Why can't you use a gas burner? Just curiosity, as i have a electric stove anyway.

    Saftey first.. I SHOULD have said ... ALWAYS USE A DOUBLE BOILER. wow..ok... everyone breath deep. we got here in time. Parafin (what mostly makes up candle wax) is highly flamable. that's why it makes such good candles. The flame of pure parafin burning is INVISIBLE to the naked eye. by melting candles over an open flame, you create the ideal circumstances for the flames to go WHOOSH, and burn you quite badly and you may never even realize why! (unless you just read this :-) The average candle wax has a flash point of 375-400 degrees. once it reaches this tempature, it will self-ignite, open flame, or no open flame. And your only warning will be that plesant smell of burning hair, as your flesh begins to turn into people-steak. The trick is... open gas flames are usually in excess of a thousand degrees. plenty to light off the fumes. Now.. as to why the double boiler is so important. Water boils at an average of 215F(yeah, yeah, i know it's "really" 212) This means, as long as there is still water, in the double boiler setup.... the wax will never exceed 250 degree F. WELL below the flash point. Now, it's POSSIBLE to regulate an electric element to maintain a temp that's lower than the flashpoint... but it's so simple to be safe, do you REALLY want to chance it? :-) I add that last paragraph because there ARE applications where direct heating by electrical element is used.. and safely. Almost any wax-injection molding setup will have a variable-temp melting pot. But if you had to ask why you can't use a gas stove... you've got a ways to go before you safely design your own electric melting pots.

    lol thank you so much. I could have either died or burned my eyebrows and eyelashes off as well as half the hair on my head! :) I was seriously going to try this on my gas stove.. Geez... Thank you so much!

    Yes, thank you a lot! Only electric stove and gloves only recommended, cause its so thin glass .... but safety first. fishing weights are to keep the string straight and yo give some extra balance for the candle....

    I was thinking about leaving the glass on, and putting the whole bulb in a kind of stand, but I'm afraid the glass won't hold and break.  

    1 reply

    and a candle gets hotter I think that that glass can handle....which means it may break or shatter....

    i used a sharp file very carefully. not foolproof but it works oftne enough. i fill mine with explosives :)

    I use old bulbs that have been used a lot and therefore the bayonet cap has expanded and contracted due to heat weakening the joints, all i do is hold the glass in a towel and twist the cap

    here is the safest way that i know of, chip through the black glass near the bottom, then break the filiment holder withe the metal is still on the bulb, this gives a cleaner cut. once that is done peel off the metal and clean the bulb.

    I've melted wax in a pan directly on a gas stove with no problems. Just make sure you take the pan off the heat several times for a few minutes to give it a chance to cool. Of course, use your common sense, I don't want to be responsible for lost hair (or worse!!).