The idea for this instructable came up while visiting a children science museum, during their summer vacation. we stopped on a display of a floating ball above an industrial hair dryer.
Step 1: Idea & Design
The simple science behind this trick is air pressure. if you would like to read more click on this link .
Design was a simple drawing on a piece of paper,
went to the shop to get some ingredients,
a little bit of trial and error...
The rest is here on the next steps.
Step 2: What You Will Need
- Rounded Wood stick (i.e. broom stick)
- 3mm wire (length ~5-10cm)
- Pingpong ball
- Wood paint (for toys)
- Drill bits (7mm, 3mm)
- Vice (optional)
- Wire cutter
- Sanding machine
- Hand saw
Step 3: Construction
- Cut ~15cm of the wood stick (the length depends on your bit length).
- Drill using 7mm bit, a hole straight in the middle to the maximum length of the bit.
- Use the bit to mark the end of the hole from the last step.
- Mark the bit to go half way of the stick (radius).
- Drill vertically where you marked (step 3).
- Test it, blow from one side. (this will also clear the hole from redundant sawdust)
- Cut ~10cm of wire.
- Bend the wire to create a circle, using the vice and the pliers.
- With the remaining wire, bend it so you will end with 90 degrees angle.
- Cut the remaining wire to the length of a radius + 2cm.
- Use 3mm drill bit, mark it to have radius depth.
- Place the circle straight above the hole, mark where to drill and drill up to the bit marker.
Step 4: Polish & Paint
Remove the Hoop and polish the tube.
Using the sanding machine create a whistle like mouthpiece.
NOTICE: Be sure to use toys wood paint!
Shake the paint can, paint the tube and the hoop.
Step 5: Done
If you liked it, don't hesitate to leave a comment or even vote ;)
Second Prize in the
Make It Fly! Contest 2017