I've always wanted to make a hydroponics setup and finally got around to doing it with recycled bottles and aquarium parts.
I will incorporate any comments and update as this goes along
Step 1: Getting Started
Gather your equipment, I used:
2litre bottles for the planters
5litre bottle for the reservoir
Hot glue gun
I experimented with different styles of planters to see what would fit with the rack I was mounting the setup on. I think the square ended one worked best.
Step 2: Preparing the Planters
I cut the top section off 2 litre bottles and join them together using the hot glue gun. Next i drove around the plant baskets then cut out 6 holes on the planter to house the plants. At this stage test for leaks of the system.
Step 3: Prepare the Reservoir
The reservoir uses displaced air to pump water up to flood the planters this is controlled by a timer. The two planters take 15min to flood then left to drain as the cycle continues.
I drilled two holes in the cap, one for the water line going from the bottom of the reservoir to the planters. And one for the airline to the air pump.
It's best using the small connectors you can buy so the airline tubing can easily be removed and cut to size.
Step 4: Plumbing Time
Connect everything up, if you have used connectors the airline should be easy to connect up.
Step 5: After Thoughts
I placed the planters on an ikea rack with the reservoir below.
I painted the bottles to reduce the amount of light hitting the roots.
After 2 weeks I am changing the water.