Introduction: Folded Schooner Tub Stopper
Tub and sink stoppers can be pretty standard, but with a few items and a little work, bath time can be loads more fun!
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: You'll Need. . .
- 7" x 9" piece of vinyl cloth or something similar - you'll want something fairly heavy and waterproof (fabric made from fused plastic bags or duct tape would likely work well if you didn't want to purchase other fabric)
- A small grommet and a grommet tool
- A tub or sink stopper
- A length of thin chain approximately as deep as your tub to the point at which you'd fill it for a bath - 10" or so should be more than enough
- A sewing machine (you could sew it by hand, but a sewing machine speeds up the process and ensures a strong stitch)
- Pliers (optional but suggested - I used needle nosed)
- Hole punch or leather punch (optional but suggested - I used a leather punch that came with my grommet tool)
- 2 pennies (or other small thin weights) and waterproof glue (optional - I didn't use weights but you could to ensure that the bottom of the boat stays down in the water)
Step 2: Fold It Up and Sail Away
- If using weights, apply a small drop of glue and affix the pennies to the bottom side of each of the short ends of the fabric
- With your fabric in front of you vertically so that the pennies are against the table, fold the top half down
- Fold in the top corners to the center
- Fold the flaps on the front and back of the bottom up
- Open the triangle that results and flatten it to form a diamond shape
- Fold the lower triangle of the front and back up to meet the top corner
- Insert your thumbs into the pocket that is created at the base of this triangle and open it, flattening it down into a diamond shape
- Holding the center inner triangle, pull the sides down to form your finished boat
- Pin and sew the sides of the boat to ensure the whole thing holds together
Step 3: Grommet and Plug
- Using your grommet tool, install a grommet near the one edge of the boat
- Affix the chain to the boat through the grommet hole
- Attach the other end of the chain to the tub stopper
- Fill up your tub, add some bubbles, and enjoy your awesome new schooner!
Participated in the
4th Epilog Challenge