Can I focus and shoot without my hands on my Canon 200D?
Yes I can!
Step 1: Sit Back and Hit Play…
Step 2: Making the Casing…
I used an old leftover metal casing, and cut it down to preferred size. Made some scrap wood walls and drilled holes for screws and conections. Turned the thing over…
Step 3: Solder Time…
and measured for holes to fit the two large buttons (I had laying around:-) Before I soldered the wiring and 3.5mm audio conncetor I did a final check to see that I had the right wiring for the right buttons.
How it works: When you touch the ground and the “left” wire the camera focuses and when ground and “right” touch you shoot. There is no electricity involved so don't worry you won't shortcut your "new" camera.
Step 4: That's It, Focus and Shoot
…with your foot!
Step 5: Parts & Tools
I use a lot of things I already have. You probably have some of these parts yourself. Anyway, what I bought was this:
- 2.5mm Male Plug To 3.5mm Female Jack
- Push buttons, momentary, large enough for your foot to hit it easily
- Panel Mount 3.5mm Female Earphone Socket Jack Connector
- Long audio cable, 3.5 male to male (for connecting the short cable in your camera to your newly built remote)
- Some wires for soldering the button/switches and 3.5mm socket jack connector
- Heat shrink to tidy up your soldering
Step 6: One More Thing…
Ok, so I couldn't just stop there. I had to have a hand held remote as well. So I made one from an old 35mm film container. Same same but different:-)
This build was originally inspired by: