The goal of these instructions is to successfully form an origami balloon with no former origami experience. The Origami Balloon is a fun activity for children.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Step 1: Make a Square Sheet of Paper
This step can be done in any way desired and can be done with any size of paper. The most common way to make this origami shape is with an 8.5" x 11" sheet of paper.
1. Grab any corner of the paper.
2. Fold the corner so that the 8.5" side of the paper lines up with the 11" side of the paper
3. Cut off excess, unfolded paper
Step 2: Step 2: Form a Tent
1. Open folded triangle.
2. Fold square to form 2 creases that resemble an X.
3. Flip over the square so that it stands up like a tent.
Step 3: Step 3: the Triangle Fold
1. Place index fingers in middle of opposing sides of any of the 4 triangles.
2. Push index fingers inwards until they meet.
3. Ensure thumbs and middle fingers brace each side of the tent while pushing index fingers.
4. Squeeze the two sides together to form one triangle shape.
Step 4: Step 4: Forming the Folded Square
1. Grab each flap in turn and fold so that each flap tip meets with the top tip of the triangle.
2. Do this on both the front and back of the triangle.
3. The end result should be a small square.
Step 5: Step 5: Creating the Hexagonal Shape
1. Take the corners of the square that are not intersected by the middle line and fold the corners inward until the tips touch the middle line of the square.
2. Grab only one layer of flap for each fold.
3. Do this on the front and the back of the square.
Step 6: Step 6: Folding Into the Pockets
1. Find the sides of each flap that have a pocket.
2. Insert finger to widen pocket.
3. Take flap above pocket and tuck it in.
4. Fold the flap so it stays in the pocket.
5. Do this on both sides (4 pockets).
Step 7: Step 7: Inflate the Balloon
1. Find the tip with the hole.
2. Form an X shape with your fingers while looking end on at the hole.
3. Blow puffs of air into the hole until inflated.
Step 8: Final Product
The Origami Balloon is complete. Below are some ways to make use of the balloon/make the creation more fun.
1. Use waterproof paper. The balloon can now function as a sort of cup or container.
2. Use much larger paper. This will allow for a much larger balloon which can be more fun to play with.
3. Color on the balloon.