Intro: FreeDNS Update Client for Windows 10 (x32/x64)
This is another quick tutorial for Windows 10 (but is not limited to it, it works on the 8, 7 and the rest too).
I used for a long time the free service of FreeDNS ( http://freedns.afraid.org/ ) the problem is that the client from them does not work with Windows 10. It is the client made by Techknow Professional Services ( http://freedns.afraid.org/scripts/freedns.clients.php ). [See image 1 and 2]
Now i started up Visual C++ 2013 and made a updater of my own (yeah you can use a Visual Basic Script aka VBS to do the job too, if you wanna that i wont blame you, check the following link ( https://nirklars.wordpress.com/2013/07/17/dynamic-dns-instructions-and-an-update-script-for-freedns-afraid-org/ ) ). IF NOT CONTINUE READING:
• At Dynamic DNS, [see image 3] right click on the Direct URL and choose Copy Link Location (Firefox) / Copy Link (Edge) or just cick on it and copy the URL from the address bar of the browser and keep it in clipboard.
• Start the FreeDNSUpdate(x86).exe (for 32 bit Operating System) or FreeDNSUpdate(x64).exe (for 64biy Operating System) it will automatically generate a file called Config.ini with a sample Direct URL address in it, like this (http:// freedns.afraid.org/dynamic/update.php?00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000), replace the address with your own Direct URL, the one that you keep in your clipboard, save and relaunch the application again.
• That's all, the app has a run single instance feature, you can't run multiple instances of it. I implemented that intentionally because the app has NO INTERFACE, YOU WONT SEE IT RUNNING, you need to open task manager (CTRL + ALT + DEL) and look for the apps name, FreeDNSUpdate(x86).exe or FreeDNSUpdate(x64).exe
• It does not require administrator privileges (no need for Run as Administrator), it works from a normal user account or even limited account (i talk about windows accounts and not FreeDNS account)
I provide a 32bit, FreeDNSUpdate(x86).exe, and a 64bit version, FreeDNSUpdate(x86).exe, and the source code if someone asks for it.
• If you have not the Visual C++ Redistributable Packages for Visual Studio 2013 here is the link for all platforms ( http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40784 ) [VC13]
• If you not the Visual C++ Redistributable Packages for Visual Studio 2015 here is the link for all platforms ( https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=48145 )[VC15]
• I added a Visual C++ 2015 Version too, i just upgraded to it and wont switch back.
••• If you need the source code or some minor adjustments (don't ask for big stuff, i sadly have not enough free time to make it in a reasonable amount of time) feel free to ask.
••• I wont provide ARM builds for Windows Phone too, if someone wanna make them i will provide the source code. (I don't have a Windows Phone, I hate Windows Phone).
••• I can make a version that does not have the limitation of one instance running if needed.
••• For a multiple DNS records, don't worry, i will make it ASAP with my free time.
I added the multiple DNS records support in version 2 (FreeDNSUpdate_v2(x86)[VC15].exe or FreeDNSUpdate_v2(x64)[VC15].exe) , In the Config.ini file you add the Direct URL's one under the other, each line consist of a single URL. Like the folowing
WITH NO FREE LINE BETWEEN THEM !!!
• How many records ? A infinite number, the only limit is the maximal size of a file (in our case Config.ini).
Version 1 has purple icon.
Version 2 has green icon. This and next versions, if needed will be Visual C++ 2015 and need 2015 Redist.