Freezing Squash is a great way to save your harvest from your garden. Since Squash produces a lot it's a great plant to have in the garden and is easy to grow. Here are some ways to save the squash for later use.
Step 1: I
1. First, pick and wash squash.
2. I like to pick the squash when it is the size of my forearm in length and before the skin gets tough/hard.
Step 2: Chop & Shred
1. Chop off ends of the squash.
2. Shred Squash using a grater.
3. Two squash shreded about 4 cups worth.
Step 3: Freeze
1. Place shreded squash into plastic freezer bags and seal or use a food saver machine.
2. Lay flat in freezer for later use for soups, stews, breads, bakes and so much more.
3. You can also slices squash and freeze.
Step 4: II
Another Way to freeze squash is to purée it.
I. Pick, wash and chop squash into chuck's. I leave the skin on as long as it isn't hard.
2. Place about a half cup to a cup of water in the pan, depending on the amount of squash you are using. I used five and about 3/4 cup of water.
3. Place on high heat and bring to a boil for a few minutes until squash is tender.
4. Remove from heat. Drain water and place in blender.
5. Blend until its the texture you like.
6. Let cool in blender for 5-10 minutes then pour into freezer bags or plastic containers and freeze.
7. I use my purée for stock for soups, thanksgiving dinner and so much more!
Follow us on Instagram @pinehillsfarm