OK, next basement project is making a corner for Arts & Crafts(or Kindergarten Korner). Over the last year I've been painting, binding books and have the parts to make a printing press. I need a space for all that. And storage. My first Craftsman tool box has been sitting on a firehall table for the last year, collecting more junk. One of the wheels was broken, so I had taken them all off. As I've been on a REUSE kick, guess where this is headed? I'm going to build a storage box for underneath the tool box, and put some fresh wheels there. The former bottom box becomes the creamy filling, and the top, well the top is still a top. But, with an added brush shelf.
Off to make the blonde bottom . .
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Oh, Yes, the Blonde Bottom
This bottom bin will hold 2 long milk crates, and was sized accordingly. It's new wheels will be the finest Indian casters that Harbor Freight sells. I bought some nice 3/4 inch plywood and had them cut it at the store(for free). I had bought a router last year in my short lived luthier life, and It was time to use it a second time. The edges and middle support were routed out. The whole thing was glued and screwed. I included my test piece for reference. To attach the wheels I used Tee Nuts, so that nothing was sticking up in the way of the milk crates. Topside I nailed on some plates to keep the Craftsman centered, attached by gravity. This thing is beefy, I got on it for a ride.
OK, let's get bristlin'.
Step 2: Hmmm, a Brush Caddy? Why Not?
As I was cleaning off the top box I noticed a couple of holes. In the first pic I'm holding a ticket with Joan Jetts autograph behind one of the holes. Funny, what you find, haha. I decided to make a Brush Caddy that can flip down if the lid gets shut. Brushes should be stored laying down, but, these are just utility brushes. The good brushes are in the drawers. I glued up some Masonite and 1/4 plywood. When I put the brushes in to check it out, I realized that I should have made at least one section a little wider. I also noticed that a couple dividers were needed or the brushes fell sideways. I drilled some holes and used bailing wire to make dividers. Meanwhile, back in REUSE land: For the pivot point I used a couple pieces of bamboo from the garden. I did have a piece of All Thread that originally was going to get used, but it I'm going to save it for a more critical use. I'm sure I could have done this differently or prettier, but this was all scraps, pretty much. When tilted down some of the brushes were too long, so they got trimmed to fit.
Step 3: Alas, the Art Cart!
Got them all stacked up and, wow, taller than I expected. ha Loaded the drawers up and it feels good to have everything in one spot, and mobile. So, I took a clutter trap and made it ..Well, it'll be a clutter trap for paint, now, haha :D YOU, can, of course, stuff anything you want in that old tool box sitting down there, from Pokemon to a shop bookshelf to hold all the manuals for everything, or build a spare PC into it and have tunes and online manuals.
Participated in the