My Own Wall-e Project Distressed a Bit Now and Looking Great

Introduction: My Own Wall-e Project Distressed a Bit Now and Looking Great

well I have finished distressing wall-e as best I could and I think he's turned out well. I have take a few grams of weight off him and sorted out his head/base mount with plugs so I can remove it and so get him in my car. Have not had much luck with his voice yet, but I will persevere. I have change out the 6 volt sealed lead acid battery for a dry cell holder to run the servo in his neck, this will knock another 800 grams off his weight. Great!!!.

Step 1: It All Begins

Frame done, panels cut out. next.

Step 2: Full Size Wall-e Robot.

hello there.

Here are a few pictures of my Wall-e build project. He is full size, and remote controlled. he has motors for forwards and backwards., and for his arms and neck. He is a mixture of Remote Control and Arduino. His forwards / backwards, and arms up down are on R.C. His head raising, head panning and eyes are controlled by the Arduino utilizing an ultrasonic sensor.

His forwards motors are 24volt.

Arms and head are Golf automotive wiper motors.

His head pan is via giant servo.

He runs on SLA batteries, weighs in about 55 kgs all up, and I have been pleasantly surprised how well they last.

wall-e update.

I have had many hours of enjoyment and head ache building wall-e at this scale, as he is now this is probably mark 3 and a bit. I had to remake his head out of lighter materials because the first unit was lovely in wood but weighed far too much, in fact the whole build weigh far too much and my first 10 amp motor controller with the motors in direct drive configuration, had a big fright and sent forth clouds of smoke after running just a few yards.

He weighed 65 kgs at the time, so I suppose no surprise. So I then spent forever drilling holes in the frame and substituting wooden panels for hobby board and parts of his eyes/head for polystyrene. This cut the weight down by 15 kgs, and then when I fitted the arm motors and the head motors took the weight up again.

I then changed the drive configuration to a chain and sprocket drive 15 tooth driving a 27 tooth 5/8 pitch. this is 1.8 to 1 ratio with my current motor at 24 volts at 120 rpm no load equated to just over 60rpm shaft speed on the 150 mm diameter track sprocket. this slowed the robot down a bit, but gave a lot more power to pull the weight. result !!.

I have wall-e back on the bench and am looking at being able to detach and reattach his head, so that I can fit him in my car. I will also be trying to improve on my coding of the Arduino and I will try to give him his voice.

Well folks thanks for looking, and I will update my progress in time.

Tech Contest

Participated in the
Tech Contest

Be the First to Share


    • Mason Jar Speed Challenge

      Mason Jar Speed Challenge
    • Bikes Challenge

      Bikes Challenge
    • Remix Contest

      Remix Contest

    5 Discussions


    5 years ago on Step 2

    I love Wall-E, this is a very cool project


    Oh he's very cute! It's so cool that he's remote control! Thanks for sharing!