I just got a new multi-ladder and decided my first project would be something for me (before I go and fix the things that need fixing around the house.
Step 1: Required Equipment
The garage has a very high ceiling. I chose this site for this project because I am 6'4" and honestly, my old crappy door frame bar was not cutting it for me anymore. I wanted to have a bar that I couldn't touch the ground and be able to chin without worrying about hitting the ceiling. I also weigh enough that this project had to be designed to handle 200+ lbs of weight.
> Mutli extendable ladder
> Stud finder
> silicon gel
> 19V powerdrill
> Appropriate sized Drill Bits, hex driver bit, and socket kit.
> tire iron (for final tightening of pipe fittings)
> 2x4 board (>3')
> 48" x 1" steel pole
> 2 x 18" x 3/4" steel poles
> 3 x reducing elbows (1" to 3/4")
> Angle Iron 2 x 12" and 2 x 24"
> 3/4" flange
> 1/4" bolts
> 5.5" lag bolts
> 3/4" ring clamps.
Step 2: PreWork
After assembling all the necessary parts, I had to cut the 2x4 into the appropriate lengths, predrill the holes in the board and find the studs in the ceiling. It was vitally important to ensure that I hit the rafters dead center so that I could drive the lag bolts completely into them and have the assembly support my weight. The selection of the 3/4" floor flanges was purposeful, as each is capable of supporting 150lbs. Even with the weight of the bar I would have >30% overage in total strength for the system.
Step 3: Paint and Prefitting.
Just a bit of paint on the boards and the flanges to make them primed up for painting at a later date.
I also prefit the small steel bars and applied silica gel to the threads to stave off oxidation.
Step 4: Affixing the First Anchor to the Ceiling.
After finding the ceiling rafters with the stud finder, I predrilled the holes into them and made sure that each predrilled hole would line up. (I knew I wasn't going to get another shot at it and I didn't want to wreck my ceiling).
Word of warning (because I goofed a bit here) my drill bit was a bit short and did not fully drive deeply enough into the rafter. I had to muscle the hex lag bolts the last of the way because my adorable little 19V powerdrill did not have the Oomph necessary to finish the job. Luckily, I had my socket driver, and with a little elbow grease, i got them to seat nicely. Also, the pictures don't show this, but I feel I should mention, each of the lag bolts was seated with a washer so that it would really hold the flange and the 2x4 onto the rafter.
Additionally, after the initial seating, I went back and added several alternating pattern deep length deck screws to support the lag bolts and to improve overall stability of the ceiling anchor.
Once the anchor was in place, I seated the first steel pole into it to get the distance for the second anchor. A shoutout should be made to my lovely assistant who recommended using an angle to the other rafter for ease of installation.
Step 5: Second Anchor
I learned a lot on the first anchor, so the second one went up very easily.
Note, in order to get the bar to come together, the second anchor has to be install AFTER you attach the pull up bar to the vertical 3/4" bar (Not before; he said with a small amount of sheepishness).
Once together, I did a weight check. Nice and strong, but still required one more part of the assembly before any workout could happen.
Step 6: Bracing and Completion
In order for the pull up bar to be very safe and very stable, it required side bracers.
the Angle Iron was attached to neighboring rafters and attached to the verticle bracers with 3/4" ring clamps.
The addition of these bracers reduces movement from side to side and improves the overall unit utility.
The angle iron required a bit of clipping with some tin snips, but once cut properly could be easily bolted into place.
Completed! Though now I'm too tired to do any pull ups right now.
Thanks for reading.