I needed some Garam Masala spice mix for a dinner recipe and I could only find a VERY large bag. I love baking and the spices smelled sweet and thought they could work in a cookie or baked into something sweet. I ended up finding a great recipe and have tweaked it a little. A wonderful sweet light spice cookie. Great for any season.
I hope this can be an addition to your cookie collection! I will also be updating with more pictures... without my kids in them. Who also LOVE to help bake, but mainly eat, these wonderful cookies!
Makes 40-50 cookies, depending on your Table spoon
~*~ Helpful Tips ~*~
- Browned butter needs to be cooled, it's best to brown the butter 1st and then get everything else prepped.
- When preheating your oven, wait a few minutes after your up-to temp signal has gone off. Most ovens are not ready, including mine. I make sure I wait 10 min before putting the cookies in to bake.
- Eggs should be at room temp (about 15-20 min out of the fridge) but not necessary.
* Baking sheet(s)
* Parchment paper to line baking sheets (optional, but very useful)
* Mixer of some kind (stand, hand held or old fashioned by hand)
* Small pot/pan to brown butter in
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (unbleached is best)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Garam Masala spice mix
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp salt (do not omit)
- 1 cup (2 sticks) Unsalted butter, browned and cooled to room temp
- 1/2 cup White sugar
- 1 cup packed Brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp Pure Vanilla extract, can use artificial.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Brown Butter
To brown the butter put your 1 cup (2 sticks) of butter in a small pot or pan. Melt over medium heat, then let it bubble, stirring occasionally. Let the milk solids separate (They should look like little white dots in the bottom) and should take about 5-10 min.
Remove from heat IMMEDIATELY so the milk solids don't burn. Let cool to room temp either in the fridge for an hour or sitting out.
Step 2: Preheat Oven to 375 Degrees
Step 3: Dry Ingredients
In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the Unbleached flour, Garam Masala spice, Baking Soda & Salt. Set aside.
Step 4: Wet Ingredients
* In a stand mixer with paddle attachment (or the mixing process you choose), combine room temp butter, White sugar & brown sugar. Beat on high speed until light and fluffy (about 5 min).
* Add Eggs, and vanilla. beat on high until thoroughly combined. About another 5 min
Step 5: Combine Dry and Wet
Fold in the Flour mixture into the butter mixture by hand until well combined.
Step 6: Pan and Bake
* Drop 1 Tbsp sized scoops onto prepared baking sheets (with parchment paper, Silpat or cooking spray) about 2 inches apart.
* Bake for 10 min, rotating sheets half way though, until the edges are starting to darken and the tops are crackly.
* Remove from oven and let cool on baking sheet for 10 min before moving to cooling racks.
** I bake mine for 9 min. Always keep an eye on your cookies. Your oven may cook them quicker.
** Makes 40-50 cookies
~*~ Now enjoy your tasty creations!
Participated in the
Kitchen Skills Challenge