TOOLS ARE USED:
3. KNITTING NEEDLES (5)
4. KNITTING HOOK
5. MEASURING TAPE (optional)
Step 1: 1-2-3
(1) Gather 48 loops on 2 knitting needles and (2) separate 12 loops on each of 4 knitting needles with a help of 5th knitting needle. (3) Create a pattern of 6 rows with 2 loops facing you and 2 loops facing away (by putting a front or back thread from a left knitting needle to the right one over the ball yarn thread first).
Step 2: MUZZLE BASE (A & B)
4. Finish your 6 rows with a braid by:
(a) lifting a front loop/thread of a vertical braided pattern with a right knitting needle over the main (ball) yarn and pulling through, then
(b) lifting 2nd loop on the right needle with a left knitting needle and pulling a freshly made first loop on the right knitting needle over (that lifted 2nd loop on the right knitting needle).
Step 3: DESIGNING a MUZZLE BODY
5. Make a knot with a help of a knitting hook. Leave a large loop allowing a whole yarn ball to go through it and pull the yarn.
6. Put a knitting hook (between 2 vertical braided design) and start creating a 7-loop braid by picking up a main yarn thread on a left index finger through the first loop on a knitting hook. Create 2nd row of a 6-loop braid connecting with the first row of braids at a middle braided loop. 3rd and 4th rows consist of a 5-loop braid.
Step 4: CREATING NOSE OPENING & MOUTH CLOSING
7. Now create a 12-loop braid for a dog's (90+lbs) nose and a 10-loop braid with a zig-zag pattern (from left to right and right to left) to cover a mouth opening.
Step 5: MAKING MUZZLE REINS
8. Finish with a knot like in #5. Cut the main yarn/thread with a scissors.
9. Braid reins for a dog's muzzle by creating a braid like in #6 and going back to a start point.
10. Enjoy your time with a dog and give him or her a nice treat for helping you to create this project : )