Introduction: ♡♡Geode Cake♡♡
Beautiful rock candy is responsible for giving this beautiful cake it’s geode appearance, making the entire cake 100% edible. It’s pretty to look at AND you can eat it? Does it get any better than that?
Step 1: Make the Cake:
- 1 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 and 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 eggs1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 and 3/4 cups cake flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease and lightly flour 2 9-inch round cake pans; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Beat in the vanilla.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. Stir with a whisk and add it to the butter mixture alternately with the milk, beating well after each addition.
- Divide the batter evenly between the prepared pans. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes. Remove from pans and cool completely on a wire rack.
Step 2: Make the Buttercream Frosting:
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 4-5 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- salt, to taste
- Using a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment added, beat the butter on medium until creamy,- about two minutes.
- Add 4 and 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar, the cream, and vanilla with the mixer running on low. Increase to high speed and beat for 3 full minutes.
*Add up to 1/2 cup more confectioners' sugar if frosting is too thin or another Tablespoon of cream if frosting is too thick. Add a pinch of salt if frosting is too sweet.
Step 3: Getting Ready:
**The cake layers shouldn’t have a rounded dome on top of them, but if they do, cut them off before stacking.
- To assemble cake, place first layer of cake on your cake stand or plate.
- Place a rolled out sheet of fondant on top of the cake and lower it onto the cake and smooth it out, cutting off excess.
- Repeat process for all cakes, and layer them with a little bit of frosting as glue.
Step 4: Geodes!
For these last few steps you will need:
- Rock candy, a few different colors
- Knife, for carving
- Silver spray, edible, for decoration (optional)
- Once assembled, take a knife and gently carve the shape you want to create.
- After outlining, cut out the shape you made from the cake.
- Evenly coat the hole with a smooth layer of frosting.
- Apply a row of frosting in the center of the cut. Press rock candy into the frosting, starting with the darkest shade. Continue laying out rows of frosting and pressing in the rock candy, applying lighter colors and smaller pieces as you move farther out toward the edge of the cut.
To conclude, I would say this cake does have a few steps, yet it's definitely not hard at all! It's also delicious and also gorgeous!! You can totally play around with colors and decoration to make it your own, so why not give it a try?
If you enjoyed this, please give me a vote! Thank you so much for reading, and why not share this with anyone you think would enjoy it too?
Participated in the
Baking Contest 2017