In this instructable I will show you how to get your gmail account to send your emails to your phone via txt.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: What You Need
You will need
- A Gmail Account
- A Cell Phone with text messaging capabilities
Step 2: Figure Out Your Cellphone's Email Address
You will need to figure out your celphone's email address.
Each cellphone has a specific email address. Here is a list of carriers and their corresponding email addresses.
note: Do not include country code, just area code.
Alltel [10-digit phone number]@message.alltel.com
AT&T (formerly Cingular) [10-digit phone number]@txt.att.net
[10-digit phone number]@cingularme.com
Boost Mobile [10-digit phone number]@myboostmobile.com
Nextel (now Sprint Nextel) [10-digit telephone number]@messaging.nextel.com
Sprint PCS (now Sprint Nextel) [10-digit phone number]@messaging.sprintpcs.com
T-Mobile [10-digit phone number]@tmomail.net
US Cellular [10-digit phone number]email.uscc.net (SMS)
Verizon [10-digit phone number]@vtext.com
Virgin Mobile USA [10-digit phone number]@vmobl.com
So if I used verizon my adress would be firstname.lastname@example.org
Step 3: Configuring Your Mail Settings
Next you will want to log on to your gmail account.
1. Go click on the cog in the upper right hand corner and choose mail settings.
2. Choose the "Forwarding and POP/IMAP" tab in the settings area
3. At the top of "Forwarding and POP/IMAP" you should see the option "Add a Forwarding Address"
4. Click on the button and it will ask you to type in the email you want to forward to, This is where you will type in your phone's email address.
5. If you figured out your phone's email correctly, it should send you a confirmation "email" to your phone.
6. Once you get the code, type it in the space provided (without the # sign before the code) and click "Verify"
7. It should now be set up! Make sure "Forward a copy of incoming emails to..." is checked and also the option to "Keep Gmail's copy in the inbox" is selected in case anything goes wrong so you don't lose your email.
8. Click "Save Changes" at the bottom
Step 4: Done!
If you set it up correctly gmail should now forward all of incoming emails to your phone via txt.
-It will NOT send emails that were already in your inbox when you set it up, just ones you receive from then on.
-Texts have a finite number of characters (160 I think) So the email might cut off if it's longer than this.