Ghetto High Pan'n'tilt.




Introduction: Ghetto High Pan'n'tilt.

A quick and dirty method of giving you some height on your video, while still maintaining some control over what you're shooting.

Step 1: Very Easy.

There isn't much in the way of build here, so I'll talk you through it.

You'll need :

Metal strip with holes down it (sorry I don't know what this is called)
A monopod
A rubber connector between the top of the pod, and the camera (it has tripod screws F and M)
A couple of fastners
A wrist strap *that you trust* on the camera
A pole, or second monopod.
Maybe a remote control for the camera.

Step 2: Let's Build This Sucker.

Dead easy. Put a 90degree bend near the end of the steel, mount the other end (be careful not to scratch the bottom of your camera) on the rubber bung, and then screw your camera down nice and tight.

Now, attach that wrist strap onto the metal strip (I used those boat bolts you see there) and thread your remote control cable (if you have one) through that too.

Have a remote is nice, otherwise you're going to have to edit out the first couple of seconds of footage as you start it recording, and hoist it up.

Step 3: Film!

Ok, now you've hoisted it up, you can steady it by putting the base of the monopod on your thigh. Now, use the other pole to angle the camera up and down, and twist the monopod to pan left and right.

I'm seeing one of those belts people that carry flags have, the ones with the little cups, as something to fix the bottom of the monopod into.

Remember to switch the recording off before you lower the camera, otherwise you'll have to edit out the last few seconds, as well as the first! ;)

Step 4: And You're Done!

My first attempt, in my garden.

Be the First to Share


    • Pocket-Sized Speed Challenge

      Pocket-Sized Speed Challenge
    • Colors of the Rainbow Contest

      Colors of the Rainbow Contest
    • Maps Challenge

      Maps Challenge

    2 Discussions


    11 years ago on Introduction

    "Metal strip with holes down it (sorry I don't know what this is called)" Steel plumbers' tape. Gotta love it. Ranks right up there with duct tape and bailing wire. :D