We decide to bring our wonderful pet in on all the fun for our family costume! Note, our dog LOVES attention, and is SUPER friendly, and easy going. Not all dogs would enjoy being this dressed up, so know your pet. But our dog had the time of his life!!!
Step 1: You Will Need
Here is what you'll need to create this hilarious doggie costume!
- 2 1/2 yards of furry brown material
- 16 pieces of black felt (8X10)
- Large dog harness (I found mine used for 5 dollars)
- 9 plastic garbage bags
- Large bag of material filling/stuffing
- Strong craft wire
- Wire cutters
- Needle nose pliers
- Hot glue gun/glue sticks
Step 2: Make the Abdomin
Stuff one of the plastic bags, until it is full. Close it with hot glue. Cut out a circle of fabric, and glue it over and around the stuffed bag. Set aside.
Step 3: Make Legs
Make each leg, 8 total using the following steps:
- Cut 8 pieces of wire three feet in length
- Stuff a plastic bag 1/3 of the way full
- Glue shut
- Add fur to the bag
- Stick the wire through the bag leaving 4 inches at the top
- Fill one sheet of black felt with a small amount of stuffing, forming a tube. Secure tube with glue.
- Feed that tube throguh the wire, below the furry part, and secure with hot glue
- Add a 4 inch strip of fur below the black felt
- Add another piece of black felt below that (no stuffing in this one)
- Repeat process 8 times
Step 4: Cover Harness in Fur
Cut a piece of fur to the outline of the harness. Hot glue fur to the harness, covering it completely.
Step 5: Add Legs to Harness
One by one, feed the top 4 inches of wire through the harness, space apart like spider legs.
- The wire is sharp enough to poke through, without a hole being pre-cut.
- Feed wire through
- Use needle nose pliers to twist wire to secure it
- Then stick wire into the leg, and sucure the leg to the harness with hot glue
- You want the wire to be hidden in the leg, so that is can't touch your dog
- Comfort and Safety for your animal above all!!!!
Step 6: Add Abdomin
When all the legs are attached, add the abdomen!
I used only hot glue, but you could stitch it with fishing line for added strength if you wish.
Step 7: Be a Big Hit!
We went as a Family Circus, and our Giant Spider was the hit of the party! And trick or treating was an absolute scream! Nothing like seeing a 100 lb Spider running down the street on All Hallows Eve! Have a blast this Halloween including your furry family member on all the fun!
Runner Up in the
Halloween Costume Contest 2016