Creating gingerbread house is our annual family activity, where even my 4 yo son would participate :) This year was our 3rd year of making vegan gingerbread "house". Here I am sharing you the recipes for vegan gingerbread cookies, royal icing, frozen lake and trees.
The recipe I use for the apartment is not just great for building-making, but also delish to consume.
This year we decided to make an apartment building instead regular style of house.
Step 1: Gingerbread Cookies
- 2 flax eggs
- 3 1/4 c flour
- 1/2 c molasses (divide)
- 1 1/2 tsp ginger powder
- 1/2 tsp allspice powder
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1 tsp BSoda
- A pinch of salt (The spices is depending how strong of flavor you'd like your cookies to be. You may add clove and nutmeg too)
- 1/2 c brown sugar (light or dark will result in lighter or darker cookies)
- 8 tbsp shortening
- Mix dry ingredients in a bowl
- Cream shortening and brown sugar in a separate bowl
- Beat in 1/4 c molasses
- Add in dry mixture a little at a time
- Beat in the rest of the molasses
- Roll flat and cut as you like (either with cookie cutter or template)
- Bake on preheated 350 F for 12-14 mins (10 for softer, if not for making gingerbread house)
- Cool on rack completely before decorating.
Step 2: Royal Icing
- 1 can of aquafaba (from 540 ml canned chickpeas, aquafaba is the water)
- 7 c of icing sugar (for runny consistency), 9 c for thicker (piping)
- Beat aquafaba until frothy, then beat in icing sugar 1 c at a time, until desired thickness is reached
Step 3: Frozen Lake (Hard Candy)
- 1/2 c water
- 3/4 c clear corn syrup
- 1 3/4 sugar
- Bring to boil until candy thermometer shows 153 Celsius
- Take off from heat, drop in food coloring, stir, then pour on to a mold (made it with aluminum foil, just shape it round, spray with vegetable oil spray)
Step 4: Edible Trees
- 2 tbsp vegan margarine
- 250 g vegan marshmallow
- 3 c Rice Krispies
- Melt margarine, stir in marshmallow and cook on medium-high until melted
- Stir in Rice Krispies, take off from heat
- Mold/roll and cut
Step 5: Apartment-Building
- Once your cookies are at room temperature, start decorating as you wish, with whatever medium you like, such as the royal icing, or modeling chocolate, etc.
- Let decorated cookies rest overnight or one whole day for best result, then start building
- Pipe royal icing on cake board as glue, and with the help of a couple of bottles/jars, to help the walls and whatnot, stand straight. Allow resting time each time you attach something, so it would be strong enough to work on next wall, etc.
- You can use runny consistency of royal icing as your snow, but I added desiccated coconut as well, the smell will be wonderful big time, gingery and coconuty :)
- I also used vegan friend sprinkles as well as edible marker for drawing.
Step 6: Thanks for Looking :)
I placed the cake board on a Lazy Susan for easy viewing of the whole sides of the walls and whatnot :)