Thus is one of the fewest recipes on how to cook chayote. I couldn't find any recipes on how to properly cook and prepare chayote online, then I remembered one of my childhood dishes - ginisang sayote - which transliterates to stir fried chayote but that name doesn't quite give this dish justice. It's a very healthy dish with the unique taste of the chayote. It's hard to describe, you just have to try it to believe it!
I would like to share it with everyone especially because it uses a fairly unusual ingredient in Western cooking: the pear squash, or sayote. For anyone that wants to know, the plant is actually native to Mesoamerica, but used quite often Asian cooking, appearing in salads and stir fries.
Step 1: Ingredients
- 2 Chayote
- Ground pork
- Minced garlic
- Soy sauce
- Oyster Sauce
- Corn Starch
- Chopping board and Knife
Step 2: Mise En Place
Chayote is a Mesoamerican vegetable, but often used in Asian cooking. Not many people know how to prepare it, so here are some simple instructions!
- Peel the chayote and halve each vegetable.
- Scoop out the seeds of the vegetables with a spoon
- Slice each half into lengthwise pieces and wash them
- Diagonally cut into each quarters.
Step 3: Saute Garlic
- Saute the diced garlic in a non-stick pan
Step 4: Cook the Pork
You don't want to eat raw pork, so I usually make sure to stir fry my pork separately to make sure it's cooked through.
- Turn the heat on the stove to high.
- Add in a couple spoons of cooking oil and the minced garlic.
- When the pan has heated up, add in the pork and stir fry.
- Add in a couple tablespoons of soy sauce for flavor and the brown colour.
Step 5: Stir Fry
Time to add in the vegetables!
- In the same pan as your ground pork, add in the chopped chayote pieces.
- Saute the pork and chayote Add in about 1/3 cup of water, 1 teaspoon of sugar, and 2 teaspoons of cornstarch.
- Keep sauteing until the chayote is soft, but almost done, and add in 2 tablespoons of oyster sauce.
- Stir the mixture around and let it thicken, then plate and serve
Enjoy with a nice bowl of rice!