This is a wall decoration I created to go with my blue and silver Christmas theme. It was very simple And cost about $50 total. At the end of this instructable I have a picture of how I changed the shelves for Valentines day. These are the tools you will need.
Step 1: Materials
These are the tools you will need: drill, tape measure, level. Optional stud finder
8 shelf brackets with mounting hardware, 8 glass shelves, one string of Christmas lights, 25 to 30 orphans (single pieces of stemware)
Step 2: Shelving
1. Locate studs in the wall with a stud finder. If you don't have a stud finder you can tap across the wall and listen for a slight change in sound as you cross the stud in the wall.
2. Once you have located the studs, you will need to decide how much space you need between the shelves.
3 make sure your spacing will accommodate the tallest piece of stemware you plan to use.
4. I placed my shelf brackets 11 Inches apart.
5. I used plain inexpensive L brackets but there are lots of options out there.
Step 3: Glass Shelves
I bought two long pieces of glass at habitat for humanity for a dollar a piece. I had the other shorter lengths cut at Lowe's for $6.90.
You can buy really nice thick glass shelves at Home Depot, but I didn't think it was needed for this project.
For the Christmas tree:
Top shelf - 16 inches
2nd shelf - 24 inches
3rd shelf - 36 inches
4th shelf - 36 inches
Step 4: Decorate
I arranged the glasses in a tall short pattern. I also placed the heaviest items directly over the brackets. Here are some of the items I placed in the glasses.
Small non-breakable Christmas bulbs
Strings of Christmas beads
Pieces of garland
marbles and glass stones from the dollar store
Silver wrapped candies
Step 5: Valentines
1. For valentines day I took the glasses off.
2. Dusted everything.
3. Reversed the order of the shelves
4. the lights to line the shelves and make a heart outline
5. Filled the glasses with red pink and silver candies