Intro: Glass Pot
This instructable will teach you how to create a glass pot from scratch, you also will learned how to cut glass!
Step 1: Materials
You will need:
- Glass Cutter
- Glass cutting oil
- Caulk Gun
- T Ruler
- Masking Tape
Cloves / Towel / Cloth
At the end of this instructable I will leave you the links from where you can buy all the materials.
Step 2: Pattern
Measure and mark your cut line on the cardboard
Dimensions from my example: 30cm X 10 cm X 10 cm
Once you have marked it, cut them off with the cutter (NOT the glass cutter)
Make sure that the base of the box you are going to make, has the thickness of the glass added.
Take the masking tape and the pieces you cut and start put it on together
IMPORTANT: This will help us visualized the complications we might had when we do it out of glass.
Undo the card box so you can use the pieces for the next step
Step 7: Glass
* You'll need a large flat surface
Photo 1 & 2:
Once you got the cardboard pieces, go ahead and transfer them to the glass using the permanent marker.
- ·Permanent marker is the best marker because it will wash off easily, we’re all about getting the job done, so we don’t need professional marking device.
- ·Trace the pieces together as much as possible, this will make it less difficult to cut them and also we save material.
REMEMBER: Make sure that the base of the box you are going to make, has the thickness of the glass added.
Step 8: Cutter
Then, it is time for the cutter lubricant. If you have a cutter with the oil tank in the handle it's just to fill up and go.
- If you have a basic cutter, you can apply the lubricant by dipping the cutter in some of the oil. You don’t need a lot, but be sure to have it on along the whole line.
Step 9: Cutting
After you’ve lubricated the cutter, run the glass cutter along your line, DO NOT press down the cutter, this first line is to know if you are going the right way.
- If you plan on wearing goggles and gloves, put them on at this point.
When you are sure about your line and direction, run the glass cutter along your line, this time PRESSING down hard enough to hear a ripping sound.
- You should be careful, sometimes the ruler moves and so does your cutter. You need to grab the ruler hard.
- Keep going in one single motion until you reach the end. Do not run back if you feel you miss a spot
You should "hit" the glass, just through the cutting line with the back of the cutter.
Grab each side of the cut carefully in your hands. IF YOU ARE NOT USING CLOVES, TAKE A TOWEL OR A CLOTH TO GRAB THE GLASS.
- Hold the glass as if you were trying to break something in half with two hands. You just need to twist your wrists
*THE EDGE OF THE GLASS WILL BE SHARP. BE CAREFULL
Step 11: Glass Pieces
Step 12: Clean the Glass
As soon as you have all the pieces of glass instead of the ones in cardboard, clean all the edges with the wipes to remove the permanent marker
Step 13: Joing the Pieces Together
Once they are clean, join them with masking tape as shown above.
Step 14: Silicone
Take the silicone, put it on the caulk gun, and apply it to the inside edge.
Step 15: Time to Wait
You will need to wait around 20 minutes to get this dry.
Step 16: You Have Finished!
Remove all the masking tape, you have finished!
Step 17: Applications
You can use it for everything you can think of:
- Flower pot
- Fish tank
In photo 1, I bought air fresheners and put some candles on top, I thought it looked nice and works as decoration for your home.
In photo 2, I used it as a Flower pot, but you can really use it for whatever you can think of.
Step 18: Example
Now that you know the process of cutting glass, you can make your own designs, this is an example!
I hope you liked it, any doubt write me!
Step 19: Links to Buy Materiales
Here are the links to buy the materials you will need:
Glass Cutting Oil: https://www.amazon.com/Novacan-8-oz-Cutter-Oil/dp/...
Half-Barrel Caulk Gun: https://www.amazon.com/Red-Devil-3985-Half-Barrel-...
Masking Tape: https://www.amazon.com/3M-Performance-Painting-0-9...