The glow in the dark cup holder will change the way you drink anything in the dark. All it is, is a 3 piece unique invention that will adjust to any counter top or table top, making it easy to transport and put it anywhere you like.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Materials List
- Wood (any kind would be fine depending on your preference)
- Band Saw
- Sand Paper (optional)
- Command Strips (to put over the adjuster and to put on the wood so it does not damage anything you put it on)
- Hot glue gun
- Drink koozie
Step 2: Step 1: Drafting
- The first thing you need to do is draw out and dimension the first two parts. The first part is just a simple piece that looks like the letter U with a tail at the bottom.
- All the measurements are in inches.
Step 3: Step 2: Drafting
- The next step is to draw out the second piece. It looks like the letter C.
Step 4: Step 3: Drawing and Cutting
- You need to draw out the shapes with the correct dimensions on a piece of wood.
- After that you can get out the band saw and get to cutting on it.
Step 5: Step 4: Cutting Each Peice
- Start cutting each piece that you drew out on the wood.
- Cut out the first piece that looks like the letter U
- Then cut out the piece that looks like the letter C.
- When your cutting the letter U, you need to cut a circle out of the piece so that the drink can sit there.
- Draw out the circle before you cut it.
- The reason why I draw and cut it after is because you can choose to either use a koozie or a lawn chair cup holder to put in the place to hold the drink. I did that so that I knew how big I wanted the circle to be.
Step 6: Step 5: Nailing the Two Pieces Together
- The types of nails I used was (look at first two images)
- After you get the nails, you need to nail the first to pieces together.
- You can see where I nailed the last image. Its near the middle of the C piece.
Step 7: Step 6: Drilling the Wholes for the Adjuster
- The drill bit sizes that you will need are
- Drill the first hole with the drill bit size at (see first photo)
- Drill the second hole with the drill bit size at (see second photo)
- You need to find the right drill bit sizes for the piece that goes through.
Step 8: Step 7: Painting
- The paint I used to paint it with I bought at Lowes.
- When you start painting it you need to do it in coats.
- Spray it a little at a time so It doesn't just get blobs of paint everywhere.
- After you paint it and everything, you need to let it dry maybe over night or for a few hours, depending on how bright you want the cup holder to glow. The more paint you put on there, the brighter it will glow.
Step 9: Step 8: Hot Glue the Koozie
- Hot clue the koozie to the U piece
Step 10: Video
Participated in the
Make It Glow! Contest