Green leafy vegetables provide the necessary nutrients and minerals required by us, but most of them are destroyed while cooking. Lightly stir-frying Amaranth greens with lots of shallots in very small amount of oil helps in retaining most of the nutrients and minerals as well as removes the raw smell and taste from the leaves. The shallots also add taste to the dish. This vegetable is also gluten free and can be consumed by all ages
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Prepare the Ingredients
- Take a bunch of Amaranth greens and remove hard stems. Rinse in water and chop the leaves lightly
- Take one cup of Shallots, remove the dry skin and chop into large pieces
Step 2: Preparation Step 1
- In a flat bottomed frying pan, add a teaspoon of cooking oil and keep over medium flame.
- Once oil is heated, add a teaspoon of mustard seeds mixed with split black-gram lentils
- Once mustard seeds start to crack, break one or two dried red chillies and add to the oil
Step 3: Preparation Step 2
- Now add the chopped shallots to the pan and stir-fry till they turn light golden brown
Step 4: Preparation Step 3
- Add the Amaranth greens to the pan and mix with all other ingredients
- Cover the pan with a lid and keep over low to medium flame. This will help the greens to cook faster by the trapped steam inside the lid.
Step 5: Sprinkle With Salt and Serve
- Once the raw smell disappears from the leaves, you can put off the flame.
- Lightly sprinkle with powdered salt and transfer to another bowl
Serve the gluten-free Amaranth stir-fry as a main course with Rice or chapattis.