One of my favorite DIY GoPro mounts. This versatile mount is super simple to make and comes in handy all of the time. Assembly takes a few minutes. Materials cost about $15.
- 65# Hold Magnet ($8 hardware store)
- Mini Ball head ($4 ebay)
- GoPro Tripod Mount ($3 ebay)
- 1/2" 1/4-20 machine screw
- Craft foam
- Loctite (blue)
- Rubber Cement
- Screw Driver
- Razor Blade
Step 1: Attach Ball Head to Magnet
- Insert the 1/2" 1/4-20 screw through the hole in the magnet.
- Add a couple drops of loctite.
- Spin the ball head onto the screw.
- Tighten securely with a screwdriver.
Step 2: Add Protective Foam
It's important to add some type of protective material to the bottom of the magnet to avoid scratching surfaces to which you stick this mount.
- Cut a piece of craft foam (or other material) slightly larger than the magnet.
- Apply thin, even coat of rubber cement to the bottom of the magnet and foam.
- Let dry.
- Once dry to the touch press the two glued surfaces firmly together.
- Trim excess foam with razor.
Step 3: Watch Out!
The magnet is strong! It tractor-beamed my rubber cement in the middle of gluing.
Step 4: Attach GoPro Tripod Mount
- Screw the GoPro tripod mount onto the ball head.
That's all folks! You are ready to roll.
DO NOT USE THIS MOUNT WITHOUT A SAFETY TETHER.
SERIOUSLY, STRAP IT DOWN.