Introduction: GoPro Magnetic Mini Ball Head Mount
One of my favorite DIY GoPro mounts. This versatile mount is super simple to make and comes in handy all of the time. Assembly takes a few minutes. Materials cost about $15.
- 65# Hold Magnet ($8 hardware store)
- Mini Ball head ($4 ebay)
- GoPro Tripod Mount ($3 ebay)
- 1/2" 1/4-20 machine screw
- Craft foam
- Loctite (blue)
- Rubber Cement
- Screw Driver
- Razor Blade
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Attach Ball Head to Magnet
- Insert the 1/2" 1/4-20 screw through the hole in the magnet.
- Add a couple drops of loctite.
- Spin the ball head onto the screw.
- Tighten securely with a screwdriver.
Step 2: Add Protective Foam
It's important to add some type of protective material to the bottom of the magnet to avoid scratching surfaces to which you stick this mount.
- Cut a piece of craft foam (or other material) slightly larger than the magnet.
- Apply thin, even coat of rubber cement to the bottom of the magnet and foam.
- Let dry.
- Once dry to the touch press the two glued surfaces firmly together.
- Trim excess foam with razor.
Step 3: Watch Out!
The magnet is strong! It tractor-beamed my rubber cement in the middle of gluing.
Step 4: Attach GoPro Tripod Mount
- Screw the GoPro tripod mount onto the ball head.
That's all folks! You are ready to roll.
DO NOT USE THIS MOUNT WITHOUT A SAFETY TETHER.
SERIOUSLY, STRAP IT DOWN.