There are many variations on this recipe, this is what I have found to work for me and taste good at the same time! The paste lasts for 3 weeks in the fridge. I used to make quite a bit at a time and I found I wasn't using it in the 3 week period so I gradually decreased the amount of paste I make at one time. It is also so easy to make the paste, making it more frequently isn't a big deal.
Golden milk is a drink made with the paste and then an assortment of ingredients that you want to enhance the flavor/health benefits of the drink. The kids and I find that this mixture helps them sleep at night and makes a nice warm drink before bed. You can also use the paste in other foods, any time you want a boost.
- Turmeric powder
- Milk - your choice, works with cow, goat, almond, coconut (I haven't tried hemp, etc, but anything that can be heated should work)
Optional Additional Ingredients, use to taste
- Spices - Ginger, Cardamom, Cinnamon, peppercorns, etc.
- Coconut manna
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Make the Turmeric Paste
Make the Turmeric Paste
- Put equal parts turmeric and water in a small pan
- Heat over medium heat for 7 minutes, stirring regularly
- Add water as needed to keep a paste consistency
- Remove from heat and let cool
- Store in a small glass jar in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks
I've been making batches that are about 1/3 of a spice jar which lasts me a couple of weeks
NOTE: Turmeric is very yellow and can stain clothing (or dye clothing, depending on how you look at it ;) )
Step 2: Prepare the Golden Milk
- Heat the milk using the stove or microwave
- Pour milk into a mug
- Add a teaspoon of turmeric paste
- Add honey and spices as desired to taste
- Let steep for 5 minutes
TIP: I like to put the spices in a tea strainer so I can have them steep in the milk and then quickly remove it when I am ready to drink and relax
Step 3: Enjoy!
Sip and relax