This project has been in my mind since I first saw the Greatest Showman movie. I couldn't quite figure out exactly how I wanted to do it though so it stayed in my ideas notebook for a while. Instructables Toys contest got me thinking and I thought that this would be a good time to figure it out. The idea of having a cool light you can spin was where I started but thinking about it I thought it would be a good idea to have it spin all night so they can watch it. I saw a disco ball at some point in a show or movie and it inspired me to look into the motors. I found one online for 10 dollars and immediately bought it!
Anyone can build this project in less than an hour. And kids think that the lights on the walls and ceiling are amazing. Our kids had no problem laying in bed that night and watching the lights move and falling right asleep it is so peaceful.
Step 1: Tools You Will Need
Honestly this depends on how much you want to do or can do. Here is a list of what I used...and the replacements.
- Large Can - I think mine had tomatoes in it... just make sure it's clean! ;)
- Hammer and Nail - wasn't the easiest way, it was much easier to use a drill but if you don't have a drill all you need is something to poke holes in the tin can.
- Wooden circle for the base - you can get this at a craft store probably, or use a band saw, jig saw, or find someone who can make this for you!
- Battery operated light - I found this one for 5 dollars at home depot you can get these anywhere including the dollar store this power worked okay I would like something a bit stronger.
- I built the little jig to be safer for the kids to help but thats not necessary at all.
- Disco Ball motor - I found this on amazon for 10 dollars, assuming you can find these at stores or even take apart something that spins and use that. This is the one i bought
Step 2: (Optional) Build Jig for SAFETY
To be safer for the kids I built this little jig so that the kids could hit the nails in - we also used it with the drill and this worked well to guide the the drill. The really loved using this to hammer in the nail.
Step 3: Cutting the Base
I used my band saw to cut the base but you could use any tool you can cut a circle with or even buy a circle that fits at the craft store. I also drilled a hole in the bottom the same size as the part that attaches to the disco ball motor.
Step 4: Drill the Holes
Drill out all of the holes - you need to do a lot of these but not too many we drilled a bunch of holes and then put the light in and checked One thing I didn't realize would be so important was drilling holes in the bottom of the can (what will be the top of the light) because the lights on the ceiling are the best!
Step 5: Enjoy and Relax
Relaxing with this spinning in a dark room is the best we loved it so much.
Thank you so much for checking this out and please please please send pictures if you do one yourself! I am Makeitmazzeo on all social media and email@example.com
Also if you wanted to buy one of these from me I could put these on my etsy site let me know if you would want that