My grandmother had a secret recipe for rice cake. She learned this from her grandmother. When my grandmother died, I got the old cookbook from my greatgreatgrandmother. Now it's my turn to make this cake. At first it was not easy, considering it's a very old cookbook, it dates back to the time when no electric ovens were available and temperature is difficult to regulate. So instructions in the book end with " bake the cake" without more information :)
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Ingredients
you will need :
- 200 grams ( 0.88 cup) butter
- 200 grams (0.88 cup) sugar
- 200 grams ( 1 cup) white short round rice
- 1 liter (4.25 cup) milk
- 30 grams ( 1/6 cup) ground almonds
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 vanilla pod
you will also need
- baking mold
- wooden spoon
- cooking pot
- greaseproof paper
Step 2: Cook!
1. Boil the milk with the rice and vanilla. Then let it boil for 45 minuts on a low heat until the rice is ready. Stir occasionally with a wooden spoon. As the spoon remains upright, than the rice is ready.
2. remove the vanilla pod.
3. Stir the butter until cream. My grandmother did this by hand :).
4. Add the egg yolks, put the egg whites aside.
5. Add the sugar and the almond
6. Add the cooked rice.
7. Whisk egg whites.
8. Mix the egg whites with the rice.
Step 3: Bake
1. Prepare the baking mold.
- put the paper in.
- grease the inside with butter.
- Crush the rusk and cover the bottom of the mold.
2. Fill the mold with the mixture.
3. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius or 375 fahrenheit.
4. Bake 35-45 minuts.
5. cool down.
Participated in the
Heirloom Recipes Contest