When I read about the competition to celebrate Pi day, I began to have many of pie in the sky ideas about what I could make.
Where was our favorite math symbol pi, calculated at its most precise? Well, in Greece of course, by a fabled mathematician called Archimedes of Syracuse who invented all sorts of amazing things, and spent a lot of his time making circles inside polygons so that he could calculate pi more accurately. What does this have to do with my pi pie? I decided to celebrate this Greek hero's legacy, the pie had to be inspired by Greek ingredients.
To make my pie further pi-worthy, I made it using only ingredients in amounts of 3, 1 and 4, which was as easy as pie to do (um, except for the spinach that had to be 100 g....).
So, I hope you like my Greek inspired pi pie, and that the pi idea is not too irrational. :D
Step 1: All the Ingredients You Need
- 3 small zucchini (courgettes)
- 1 clove garlic
- 4 tomatoes medium-sized
- 3 eggs
- 100 g baby spinach
- 4 sprigs mint
- 3 eggs
- 1 lemon for zest
- 4 turns of a pepper mill
- 300 g greek yogurt
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 Tbsp milk
- 1 packet feta cheese
- 4 sheets filo pastry
Step 2: Get Your Knife Skills Ready
- Mince the garlic. Chop the zucchini in cubes.
- Zest the lemon. Roughly chop the mint leaves.
Step 3: A Little More Chopping and Crumbling
- Chop the tomatoes in cubes.
- Crumble the feta cheese.
Step 4: Cook the Zucchini
- Put the oil in a large frying pan. Add the zucchini cubes, garlic, and the salt. Sauté for 4 minutes, stirring often.
Step 5: Add the Spinach
- Add the spinach and lemon zest. Sauté for 3 minutes.
Step 6: Time for the Tomatoes
- Add the tomato chunks and chopped mint. Cook for 1 further minute, stirring carefully.
Leave to cool for at least 10 minutes.
Step 7: Grease the Pie Dish
- Oil a quiche dish and place a round of baking paper on the bottom of it.
Step 8: Fun With Filo
- Layer the sheets of filo pastry one on top of the other in the quiche dish.
Step 9: The Ingredients for the Custard
- In a medium-size bowl, whisk the eggs and yogurt together. Sprinkle with 1/2 tsp salt.
Step 10: Time to Fill the Pie
- Add the cooked vegetables to the pie and spread them out over the filo pastry.
Step 11: That's How the Cheese Crumbles
- Sprinkle the crumbled feta over the top.
Step 12: Ready to Go in the Oven
- Pour the egg mixture over the other ingredients.
- Bake at 180 degrees C (350 degrees F) for 40 - 45 minutes until the custard is set.
Step 13: Now It's Time to Eat the Pi Pie
The pie can be eaten warm or at room temperature.
This is an entry in the