Intro: Chicken Skewer 'n' Patties (Indian Spiced)
This recipe is a good starter Idea for a party or a wedding. It can be served as an appetizer with Lemon marinated sliced onion or the mint chutney. Skewers and Grills are a big part of the Indian Wedding. The ground chicken is soft and tender. Along with the yogurt marinate it gives a smoother texture. I have used the Indian spice as the marinate here. Indian cuisine is usually to the spicier side. So if you want to reduce the heat to your desired level, just reduce the chilly in the recipe.
The skewers are done in the rotisserie mode to get the even cooking in all the sides. The patties are grilled to get the brownish color in the outer with the grilled marks.
Step 1: Ingredients!
Chicken –500 grams
Chicken Stock - 2 Tbsp
Onion Diced – ¼ Cup
Garlic –1.5 Tsp
Ginger – 1.5 Tsp
Green Chillies – 1 (or according to your taste)
Plain Yogurt – 1 Tbsp
Salt – As required
Garbanzo bean flour/ Chickpea flour/ Besan– 2 Tbsp (or) Refrigerate the final ground mix for an hour to get a firm texture in order to avoid the falling off the Skewer.
Vegetable Oil - To brush
Garam Masala Powder –1 Tsp *
Red Chilly Powder – ½ Tsp (Optional) *
Cumin (Jeera Powder) – ½ Tsp *
Chaat Masala – ½ Tsp *
If you don’t have the * Ingredients, replace them with the Ingredients below.
Indian Curry Powder – 1 Tbsp (little less or more as you desire)
Lemon Juice – ½ Tsp (For the Tangy Flavor)
Mixer/ Food Processor
Step 2: To Get the Minced Chicken
If you have some other means of cooking the chicken, do go ahead. The main aim here is to cook the chicken and get the STOCK.
Pressure Cooker method:
- Place the cleaned and washed chicken in the Pressure Cooker. Pressure cook it till the chicken is tender and done.
- When you get the smell of the stock or by 10-15 minutes the chicken will be done. Take it out of the pressure cooker after the pressure has released.
Step 3: Spices
- Keep the stock aside.
- Separate the cooked tender portion of the chicken from the bones. Add the spices. You can moderate the amount according to your desire. Add the Spices, Plain Yogurt, Onions, Garlic, Ginger, Green Chillies, Chicken stock and Salt.
- Let it marinate for 15 minutes. The yogurt will make the chicken moist and tender.
- Then, in a mixer or Food Processor bring the chicken marinate to a ground texture. Do not grind till too soft or it will be difficult to place it on the skewer.
Step 4: Skewer It..
- Now to the ground chicken mix, add Garbanzo bean flour. Bring them together. If not in a hurry you can refrigerate the chicken ground mix for half an hour.
- Take the metal skewer and brush it with oil. Take some portion of the spiced ground chicken and try placing it around the skewer as shown in the figure with your fingers. You can create impression on the skewer placed chicken with your fingers to make it look good. Brush the outside with oil.
- Preheat the grill at 250 degree Celsius. Place the skewers and in the rotisserie mode so even cooking is made possible. When there is a browning effect on the outer the Skewers are done. Since the chicken is already cooked, it wont take a long time. If you feel the Skewers are getting dried at it outer side, brush it with oil time to time.
Step 5: Patties
- For the patties, take a portion of the chicken spiced mix and shape it to an oval shape. Brush the outside with oil.
- Preheat the grill at 250 degree Celsius.
- Place the patties on the grill and let it get grilled. When one side is done, flip it over.
- Since the chicken is already cooked, it wont take a long time. If you feel the Patties are getting dried at it outer side brush it with oil time to time.
Step 6: Skewer 'n' Grill Ready
When the outer side of the Skewered and Chicken and Patties get the brownish shade, then take it out of the Oven.
Enjoy it with Lemon juice marinated onions. It is a great combination with the skewers and patties for a party.