Growing Papaya From Seeds

58,238

19

12

About: Web developer, completed online creativity course from standford university. My vision is to create 1 new idea daily to remain 365 days creative

Growing Papaya from Seeds

I always do some kind of research in my garden. Today I am going to tell you how easily you can grow papaya from seeds. I generally call it Papaya life cycle.
As we all know papaya is fat-free, cholesterol-free, rich in antioxidant, vitamin C and vitamin A.


There is no reason for growing papaya, so let’s start growing today.

Teacher Notes

Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.

Step 1: As We All Know Papaya Is Fat-free

Step-1

Bought papaya seeds, or you use seeds from locally grown papaya fruit.

Step-2

Dig a hole half a meter across and fill it with a mix of good compost and soil. Now sprinkle on some of seeds. The seeds usually take about a couple of weeks to germinate, and may take longer.

Step 2: As We All Know Papaya Is Fat-free, Cholesterol-free

Step-3

Soon you will notice that your seedlings are very different in size. Start removing the weaker ones. Only keep the very best and now put each small plant with the gap of 1 meter.

With good sunlight, good soil & lots of water, you could be picking the first ripe fruit within 10 months

Gardening Contest

Participated in the
Gardening Contest

1 Person Made This Project!

Recommendations

  • Book Character Costume Challenge

    Book Character Costume Challenge
  • Made with Math Contest

    Made with Math Contest
  • Cardboard Speed Challenge

    Cardboard Speed Challenge

12 Discussions

None
anhmytran0

4 years ago on Introduction

When the papaya trees are at the 4th step, about 1-2 inches tall, pull each of them from the germination mix with your hand, and watch carefully at each set of roots. If there is a major root that runs straightly from the trunk to the tip in the depth, the tree probably (90%) is a male tree. Just cut away a half of the major root with a sharp pair of scissors, leaving other roots intact. It has 60% chance to grow into female tree. If there is no major root - all roots are forky, branchy from the end of the trunk -, it has 90% chance to grow into female tree. Keeping the soil rich nutrition and moisture increasing 10% the chance to grow into female trees.

1 reply
None
JacoR3anhmytran0

Reply 1 year ago

amazing observation, thank you...I will most definitely try this out !

None
woofboy111

6 years ago on Introduction

Do you know what the secret is to getting fruit? I have seven papaya trees, grown from various store bought papayas. They are all between 1-4 years old now and every single one turned out to be male. Is there some sort of secret to getting a female tree that will produce fruit?

2 replies
None
JoelC100woofboy111

Reply 2 years ago

l was told a old copper nail hammered into trunk can do it, worth a shot.

None
bradm4woofboy111

Reply 4 years ago on Introduction

thats very unusual.

papaya growers use seed that should be almost all female and hermaphrodite.

sometimes temperature/climate can make a difference. might even be soil type or PH

try buying seed from University of Hawaii, and use a different potting mix...

$1 a pack., get the X-77

also, germinate only when very warm, or, use a heat-pad.

None
storre

3 years ago

Is it necessary to pop the jell sack on the seeds or can you plant them directly?

None
TheCheesemakersWife

3 years ago

I just cut up a Mexican Papaya I bought from the store to dehydrate. Do you guys think that the seeds from it have a chance at growing?? How do I know if it was from a GMO plant?? I bought it at Sprouts grocery store.

1 reply
None
sdbigguy

6 years ago on Introduction

I enjoyed your instructable. I am currently trying to grow a couple types of papaya. Some from store bought seeds and some from a great Hawaiian papaya I got in the store. I was told that papayas from Hawaii are irradiated for health reasons and the seeds won't grow. Well, out of about 100 or so seeds I have had 2 sprout. I will see what happens. Thanks again for the instructable!

1 reply
None
bradm4sdbigguy

Reply 4 years ago on Introduction

sdbigguy

most (not all) Hawaiian papaya are GMO. You should not grow a GMO plant without taking a class, and buying seed from an approved vendor.

None
iitian

6 years ago on Introduction

Papaya plants can be male, female, or bisexual, and you want to make sure that you have some females or bisexual plants amongst your seedlings. The male papayas don't bear fruit.

diff betwn Male & female plant
Male flowers have long, thin stalks with several small blooms. Female flowers are usually single blooms, bigger, and very close to the trunk.

None
sanorita

6 years ago on Introduction

Thanx for the apprication and hope your garden with full of papaya trees. All the best