Introduction: Growing Plants From Seed at Small Area
Hello, in this instructable, you will see the process of growing plants at 2x6cm area (of course this can vary ;p)
Ok, so i wanted to make something fun about my desktop space, and i decided to make a very small plant pot to spice the things up ;)
So here it is, follow my steps.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: First Step
Ok first ting to do is get some seeds :p
I am gonna use lentils (Lens esculenta) becouse this is the only seeds i have :P
Now we need to make the plant pot, since i didn't have suitable object to use i made my own very simple pot from aluminium foil. (next two steps explain how to make it)
Basicly what you need is:
Step 2: Fold the Pot
To make the pot, i used aluminium foil, about 7x13 cm (2,5 x 5,1 inches)
Then fold it to make the box :) (perhaps this is the hard part)
I used 4 layers of foil.
Look the pictures below
Step 3: Finish the Pot and Add Soil
Finish folding the foil, to make it look like box
(I am sorry I can't explain exactly how to fold it)
You can use band to strengthen the object.
Note: Make some holes in the bottom of the pot, to make sure if there is more water than needed, to have a way out. (with this method u need to use plate to put on bottom)
Step 4: Sow Your Seeds
a) After the plant pot is done, fill with soil.
Its good to use sifter, however i din't use one:)
b) Fill the pot and then lift a little and tap it against your work surface to settle the soil.
c) Use a firming board or your hands to compact the soil. Press the firming board down on the soil until the top of the board is level with the top of the pot. You can also use your hands if you don't have a firming board.
0) Prepare the seeds.
1) Now pinch some out with your hand into the pot.
2) Sprinkle or arrange the seeds on top of the soil, leaving a little space between each and the other ones.
3) Most seeds need to be covered with soil. Add light layer of soil over the pot and use your hands or the firming board to gently, but firmly press the soil down over the seeds. Seeds need good soil contact to germinate properly.
4) Pour with water.
5) Put the new plant pot somewhere, about 3-4 days u will see the result.
Step 5: Results
- You can add more seeds to make it more dense.
- To fit more in your desktop space, you can modify the pot, using color markers or what you like :)
- In general, you can check to see if the seeds need more water by sticking a finger in the soil. If it feels dry, add a bit more water.
- Seeds from different plants have different planting requirements. Be sure to consult the seed information on the packet or in the catalog before planting.
The quality of the images are bad because are taken from my old and cheap webcam.
Good luck with your new plants !