I love guitars. I have lots of them and needed a way to store and display them. I thought about buying hangers but that would have been at least $5 each and would take up my wall space. I happened to find a plantstand at a thrift store for $8. I think it turned out pretty well.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: The Plantstand
Here is the $8 plantstand. 50 in tall x 34 in wide x 26 in deep. It held 12 plants each in a 6 in loop.
Step 2: Laying It Out
I knew this had the potential to become a guitar rack. The dimensions and spacing worked out easier than I expected. I simply cut away half of three loops on one bar and then welded the other half in between the others.
Step 3: Upper Bar
I added some metal straps to shift the bar back so the guitars would lean and tend to stay put. These two straps and 2 nuts were the only new metal parts added (all on hand).
Step 4: Clamped for Welding
I bolted the straps to the bar and then clamped it all to the stand for welding. I used my MIG welder but could have used gas welding.
Step 5: Old Electric
An old Harmony electric is used to figure out the spacing.
Step 6: Figuring Out the Bar Location
I kept in mind that many of my other guitars are longer and wider than this 3/4 size. The bar was clamped in place before welding. (I moved even this old guitar well out of the way for the welding)
Step 7: Room for Three and Three More
Here is a shot of a broken acoustic and one I've been fixing (primer) plus the electric. I have put surgical tubing on but that will be covered with a thicker foam padding (pipe insulation).
I welded 2 nuts for the lower bar to bolt to. Later I could add more nuts and adjust the bar if needed.
Step 8: Phase 1 Complete
I moved it into the house and grabbed six guitars with all different body shapes. The Firebird (biggest) and Victoria (smallest) do not fit quite as well as the others. I had some other ideas but I took a few days to decide which way to go. I thought maybe hang 3 acoustics up higher. I thought maybe put my amp behind the electrics. Any additional welding is on parts that can unbolt and be taken to my shop.
Step 9: Flying the V
The Flying V was another shape that didn't fit the rack very well. I found quite by accident that it would work to simply put it into the loop. (I did add some extra weld) It also made it look like it was flying. Pipe insulation made it unstable so I simply wrapped the loop with fake fur. All the foam got covered after a friend suggested the foam may damage the finishes.
Step 10: Acoustic Hangers
I made the hangers a little different for the acoustics. It is still made from half of a loop but is bent around double at the end. I built 2 extras that can bolt to the wall or even onto the rack if I want.
Step 11: Padding for Acoustics
I used a softer foam that has some self stick tape.
Step 12: Fake Fur
I sewed the fake fur into an odd shaped sock. The flaps cover the bar and can be hand sewn or hot glued later. This was a little trickier than the straight sock for each of the six electrics. The lower bars and 2/3 of each upright bar got foam and fur as well (anywhere I am likely to bump).
Step 13: Acoustic Hanger
Here is one of my acoustics trying on the hanger. All of these hangers can be bent by hand if needed to fit the various sizes.
Step 14: Conclusion
I had lots of fun with this project and my first Instructable. It organized nine of my guitars that had been leaning against walls or stashed in cases. If I was doing it again I would leave off the sixth electric at the far right and let them lean a little more and be less crowded. Total cost was probably $45.