In my robotics class, we are making Halloween decorations using new soldering techniques that we were blessed upon by our beloved teacher. My partner and I will be making flashing eyes for this Headstone.
Step 1: Materials You Will Need
Flashing LED Kit $3 at frys.com
Lithium coin batteries $5 for 4 on amazon.com
Jumper Wires $3 for 40 on amazon.com
Battery holder $4 for 5 on amazon.com
Manual for the kit pdf (also comes with the kit)
lithium coin batteries $6 for 20 on amazon.com
Halloween skeleton grave decor $3
Solder Wire cutters
Small Phillips head screwdriver (optional)
Masking tape (optional)
Total cost: $18 - 20
Step 2: Let's Get Soldering
1. Get your soldering Iron
2. Turn on the heat for your soldering iron
3. Get your soldering cleaner
4. Get you soldering wire
5. Get any other tool you are using for soldering
6. Get the Led kit open
7. Open up the instructions
7. Put on your safety glasses
8. Follow the kit's instructions for soldering, but SKIP STEP 5 AND 6
9. (WATCH POLARITY & THE WAY YOU PUT IN RESISTORS)
10. Clip long prongs when done.
Note: Whenever you put in resistors or anything with long prongs, bend them outwards slightly so they do not fall out or move when you solder
Step 3: After Your Solder
After following the instructions (skipping step 5 and 6) your finished product should look like the picture above.
Note: I myself didn't watch how I put in my resistors so make sure you don't do the same.
Step 4: Replacement of Step 5 and 6
Since we did not do steps 5 and 6, here's a way to replace them.
1. Take your Jumper wires (male to female) and solder the male part of the wire where the LED's would go in the instructions.
2. Do that to both spots where the LED's should go with two jumper wire
3. Now after you have soldered the jumper wires, take the ion coin battery pack and solder it where the instructions tell you to solder it. (RED WIRE GOES WITH SLOT THAT SAYS "RED" SAME THING WITH THE BLACK WIRE)
After you have finished this, your circuit board should look a little something like the picture above!
Step 5: Adding the Led's
Step 6: Finished Project
CONGRATULATIONS YOU COMPLETED YOUR HALLOWEEN DECOR!!
Here's some things I did different:
- I decided to make an extra set of LED's to the little ghost at the bottom
- My Skeleton LED's are color changing LED's
- The wiring for me was different
Note: The last picture with the wire is how yours should look like.
Step 7: You Are Officially Done!! \>0
If you want to watch a short video to see my final project, click here---> (^-^)