Intro: Halloween Mystery Boxes
How to create Halloween Mystery Boxes using the traditional Halloween candy plastic buckets, felt and glue.
We have done this at work now for 2 years in a row. You don't have to buy the buckets every year. Just remove the felt and clean them up and put them into storage for the next Halloween.
For the contents of the mystery boxes, here are some suggestions:
1. Damp, Course Sponge - Brains
2. Dried Apricots - Dried-up Tongues
3. Cooked, Cold Spaghetti Noodles - Worms
4. Cooked, Cold Spaghetti Noodles - Veins
5. Peeled Grapes - Eyeballs
6. Tines of a Plastic Fork - Vampire Teeth
7. Soft Flour Tortilla - Skin (can add a little oil)
8. Mango slices in pudding feel like tongues in curdled blood.
9. Dried apple slices - Ears
10. Blanched, peeled tomato - Heart
11. 5 Baby Carrots - Fingers
12. Overcooked rice in olive oil - maggots
14. Hair Gel
16. Weasel balls
17. Spider webbing
Step 1: Supplies
You will need the following:
- Plastic Halloween candy buckets - you will need to cut off the plastic handles
- Felt pieces
- Glue spray
- Piece of flat card-board at least as large as the felt pieces
Step 2: Prepare Felt
If you buy the same felt as in the previous step, you will need to cut them in half first.
Then fold each piece in 4, and snip off the middle corner. This creates a hole in the middle of the piece. You then need to cut 4 'cross' lines in the middle of the felt. This is so that the little hands can go into the box after you have glued the felt to the top of the kettle.
You then need to make a 'template' from the cardboard that you will use to spray glue onto the felt. It needs to be the shape shown in the picture. You can use a kettle as a guide to draw the opening, and a piece of felt to draw the outside outline.
You then put the cardboard template onto a piece of felt and spray into the open areas of the template. This is best done outdoors, and you may want to spread some old newspaper on the floor first, so you don't get glue onto the floor.
Once you have sprayed the glue onto the felt, you can then apply it to the top of the kettle. Usually best to put the mystery stuff into the kettle before sticking the felt on top.