Hi there! This Instructable shows how to create a Halloween take on a snow globe!
If you'd like to see this project in video form, please watch the video above :)
- You'll need the pattern here to create the house
- Wide mouth Mason Jar - Quart Size (It must be this size or larger, so the house will fit)
- Card stock or construction paper in your colors of choice (I used patterned purple, black, white, orange & green)
- Spanish moss (I used a special Halloween kind that was dyed black)
- A small paper cup or other object to raise the house up in the jar
- Hot glue
- Fishing line or other thin thread
- A score tool of some kind (I use this one - an old pen that doesn't work works well, also)
- X-acto Knife
- An LED tea light
Step 1: Prepare the Pattern
- Print the patterns at this link and cut them out.
- Use the X-acto knife to carefully cut the windows out of the pattern, cut around the door, and cut along the C shaped line on the back of the house.
- Use a scoring tool or something similar to score all the fold lines on the bottom of the house and the tabs on the front and back of the house. It's helpful to use a ruler while doing this to keep the lines straight.
- Cut out the bat, ghost, and pumpkin patterns, and cut out the face of the jack-o-lantern.
Step 2: Create All the Pieces
- Trace around the pattern onto your paper of choice. Also be sure to trace around the inside of the windows, door, and the C shaped line on the back.
- Score the fold lines.
- Cut out the house, and use the X-acto knife to cut out the windows, cut out the door opening, and around the C shaped line.
- Fold on all the fold lines.
- Trace the door pattern onto paper, score the fold line, and cut it out.
- Trace the roof pattern twice onto paper and cut it out.
- Cut out 5 of the bats, 3 of the ghosts, and 1 pumpkin (or however many you'd like).
Step 3: "Build" the House
- Put hot glue on the front of the tab and glue it to the inner left side of the door opening.
- Put glue on each of the tabs and assemble the house.
- Put glue on each of the roof tabs and put each roof piece in place.
- The house should now be put together, and there should be a flap on the back of the house so you can put an LED tea light into the house.
Step 4: Put Together the Snow Globe
- The house looks best when it is raised up a bit in the jar, so I cut the bottom of a paper cup off and glued it to the inside of the jar lid, to create a platform for the house to sit on.
- I put hot glue on the bottom of the house and attached it to the bottom of the cup.
- Put glue on the back of each bat and attach it to a piece of fishing line. Put a little hot glue on the end of the string and glue it to the top of the jar, to make it look like the bats are floating. Put the house inside the jar to decide where to place the bats. Glue some of the bats to the back of the jar.
- Glue the ghosts wherever you'd like them to be, I glued some to the house and back of the jar.
- Add anything else you'd like to decorate the jar with.
- I glued black Spanish moss around the cup platform under the house. Be sure that the lid can still be put onto the jar easily.
- Finally, glue the pumpkin onto the moss in front of the house.
Step 5: That's It!
Put an LED tea light into the house, put the house into the jar, and put the lid onto the jar...and that's it!
Thanks for viewing this Instructable and Happy Halloween!
Participated in the
Halloween Contest 2017