This year we have quite hot summer here in PL. Temperature reaches +38 degrees celsius or even more. Some people stays at home during day or at noon because of high temperature.
At home we have a hamster (The Djungarian hamster) which used to live in a bit colder conditions. Sweetie (Sweet? - her name) looks tired in such temperatures.
I thought that i could do something with that. Then H.A.C.S system idea was born ...
Step 1: What Do We Need for H.A.C.S
We have to take a look into "will be useful later" things box, and take some things from ,to create Hamster Air Conditioning System ;)
Do not confuse with British HACS ;)
We will need :
- 1x ice cream box - any taste you like - you should make it empty for this project ;)
- 1x old 12V PC fan
- 1x paper tube - from paper towels
- switch (on/of) - any type
- 2x 18650 Li-Ion - used accu (from old laptop battery)
- 2x 18650 battery holder
- some wires and if you wish a connector (not obligatory) - in my version a pair of XT-60 (i have a lot of this because i`m RC modeler)
- 4x screws for fan
You will need some tools too:
- sharp knife or scalper
- hot glue
- soldering iron
Step 2: Let`s Do Some Wiring
We have to connect :
fan,switch and 2x batterries like on screen.
I hope it is quite simple and don`t need more comprehensive description.
XT-60 connector is optional. You can solder wires directly to switch and to fan wires.
Step 3: Cut and Drill
1.Take acover from ice box.
2. Cut a hole according to PC fan size
3. Drill 4 little holes for screws
4. Cut a hole regarding to paper pipe size in a corner
5. Screw the fan on the other (top) side
6. Cut paper pipe with knife to the needed shape (regarding to hamster`s cage)
7. Glue all paper pipe parts together.
8.and glue it using glue gun to ice box cover hole in corner.
Step 4: Assemble
Now you have fully equipped top cover and lower box for ice or for frozen cooling insert.
In my case i took frozen insert from mobile cooling ice box - see picture.
1.Put insert or ice in box
2. Cover it with "equipped" cover top.
3. Assign HACS system to hamster`s cage
4. power it ON
Step 5: A/C in Hamster`s Apartment
Now hot air flows through the ice or frozen insert , and goes to hamter`s apartment through paper pipe.
Don`t worry ! Hamster will not freeze and will not have icicles on the mustache ;)
Air temperature is just a little lower than room temperature.
Just cold enough to feel better during that hot summer days.
Step 6: Happy End and Happy Little Fellow
Now Sweetie is not searching for fresh air in cage holes. She just falls asleep under H.A.C.S pipe output ;)
Looks calm and happy ;)
Sleep well little fellow !