Though i thought of this idea after making my other project (yet to be completed....yet related), one day, as the creative foodie i am, i noticed that the design of the play and freeze (which is basically a plastic cage and a metal container) was basically a hamster ball (to be correct, its called a critter krawlerl), and basically all you have to do is make a few modifications.
==The beginning of summer==
Just buy hamster ball you think is good enough for you and buy a metal container that hopefully fit in there.
Now, the only required materials other than the hamster ball and metal container are:
(note: when buying the hamster ball, be sure it has screws in it)
-Hot glue (so you can fill in the holes which were meants for oxygen) ($1)
-rock salt, ice, and ingredients for ice-cream ($2)
-the unversal binder of all things, Duck tape ($2)
-Patience and have fun!! (priceless)
-The makers of the "freeze and play" ice cream maker
(note: likely its too hard to play light soccer with)
-Clothes dryer ice cream, who figured.
Step 1: Buy Hamster Ball and Obtain Metal Container
== Hamster Balls (critter krawler) ==
There are 4 sizes of hamster balls. here is an estimate of how big they are and how much they cost
(note: when you buy it, be sure it has screws in it!!)
-very Small-imagine fitting baby mic in this (about 4 dollars)
-Small-imagine putting a little bird in this (aobut 7 dollars)
-Medium-imagine putting your baby turtle in this (about 17 dollars)
-Large-imagine putting a full grown hamster in this (about 22 dollars)
== Metal Containers ==
Though people usually use metal coffee cans for this purpose, look for small metal tins or candy at the asian store where they usually have lots of metal containers with plastic caps. (evaporated milk is a good source, but try not to waste too much food)
Now, you want to be sure you metal can fits through the entrance of the container easily and has some space to move around.
The main purpose of this whole project is to make the hamster ball water-proof. Which means filling in all the nooks-and-crannies so that no water brine spills out.
Step 2: Modifying the Hamster Cage
Basically, this whole step is to lead you to make a water proof hamster ball.
Basically, all you have to do is:
1. Unscrew the screws on the ball
2. Get your glue-gun and heat it up.
3. Fill in the breathing holes with hot-glue.
4. be sure to make a little glue border on the semi-spheres.
5. Also be sure to make a glue border by the entrance of the ball.
6. screw it back together
7. make a little glue border around where the two semi-spheres meet.
8. After that, make a glue border on the cap and than another glue border on the container by the cap.
9. Since i can't figure out a better solution (thats where you come in, suggestions gladly appreciated), test to see if the container is reasonably water proof. If it stand the test just by it being still without leaking, try rolling it a bit to see if anything happens.
10. If its leakproof, clean your metal containers and put your ice cream in there. Just in case, put some duct tape on the covers of the metal containers and once placed inside the ball, put some duct tape on those holes.
Step 3: Ice Cream Recipes and Using the Hamster Ball
== Summary and the end of our journey ==
It would be nice if you could paint a little hamster on the metal container (perhaps by using laster etching article on this site?) but you can now truly eat your hamster.....i mean ice cream.
Some common ingredients you may want to pick up at your local grocery store:
-evaporated milk (or milk....either one)
-heavy whipping cream
-confectioners sugar (or sugar)
-eggs (emulsifiers such as corn starch will do)
Until than, i hope you have enjoyed my instructable article on making a hamster ball ice cream maker (i have too!). Theres nothing like an actual incentive to create things. Anyways, i have my next project, though which is not completed, which will solve the following problems in which i have not yet to solve
-An ice cream maker that is actually fun
-Something that you can play soccer with
-Something involving a certain game in which you collect stuff. A hint to you is......KD.
Common ice cream recipes
-Vanilla ice cream