Introduction: Hand Crank Paint Shaker
Mixing paint with a stir stick or a drill attachment is a bummer. Incidentally, spending a lot of money on a paint shaker that I will hardly ever use is also a bummer.
As I plan on tackling quite a few paint projects in the near future, I decided it was time to turn the fevered dream of a madman (that's me) into a reality.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Design and Materials
I knew that I wanted the design to use a defunct stationary bicycle. They are usually easy to find on trash day. Happy day, I found this one today.
I decided to simply use one side of the pedal assembly for the hand crank and the other side as my mechanical linkage.
I used an old hinge style hasp I had in my junk bucket, some plywood, some PVC pipe, and various nuts and screws.
Step 2: Strip the Bike
Pull off any non essential pieces you can, i.e. pedal covers, seat, covers, handles, etc.
Don't throw them away though, some of them may be useful.....
Step 3: Pivot Points, Connecting Rods, Platforms
I attached the hasp assembly to the neck of the bike where the handles originally were. I then bolted the platform where the paint can will set. I drilled a hole through a pice of 1/2" PVC and connected it onto the pedal stem. The other end I connected to the end of the platform with a side mount attaching point.
I screwed two pieces of wood which will set on either side of my paint can.
Step 4: Test It
I located on old can of paint in my storage cabinet and placed it on the platform. I used another piece of PVC as a hold down over the top of the can.
As you can see, the paint had completely separated before I mixed it. After mixing for a short period, it was completely reincorporated.
I've included a video of it in operation. Please bear in mind this is the prototype.
Step 5: Fine Tuning the Arm, Paint It, Cut Off Things
As you saw in the video, this unit is very effective, but also a bit rickety. I decided I had better do some modifications to make it a bit more usable.
The first thing I did was cut off the seat post, It served no purpose and kept the platform from going down real far.
Next, I got rid of the PVC arm and replaced it with one of the original handles from the bike. I used some conduit clamps I had in the garage to attach them to the platform. Finally, I placed some plastic sleeves over the handle, purely for comfort while cranking.
I painted the platform with some spray paint and cut off excess protrusions.
Step 6: Platform, Can Holder
I used the round bits off the bottom of the handles as a side support to keep the can from sliding during operation.
I used lengths of all-thread for the hold down arms. I purchased plastic screw lugs to speed up the tightening process.
A piece of PVC makes a very nice hold bar.
Step 7: It's Done!
Well, it's finished. It works very well for what it is. It speeds up the process quite a bit.
I didn't get a chance to make a video of the finished one in operation, but trust me, it's quite functional.
Thanks for reading and if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask!