This is the first time I am making a lamp. And I thought of making it because I could not find an affordable lamp for my room. It was fun making this lamp and much easier than I thought it will be.
Follow the tutorial to make your own customized jar lamp! :D
Step 1: Things You Will Need-
For the lamp base-
- A glass Jar (I have used Dabur Honey's bottle)
- Acrylic Paint
- A marker pen
- Painting Brush
For making the lamp shade-
- Steel wire
- Crepe Paper
For the light and joining the base to the lamp shade-
- Bulb socket
- Electric Wire
- Incense stick and a matchbox (To make holes in the lid)
- Nut and bolt
Step 2: To Make the Base-
- Clean the glass jar with water and soap to remove the label. Let it dry.
- With a marker pen draw the design or write down the quote you want to display on the jar.
- Paint the drawing with acrylic colours and keep it aside to dry.
Step 3: Electric Connections-
- We have to make holes in the lid to fix the socket.
- Remove the lid from the jar.
- Keep the bulb socket on the lid and mark the points for fixing it.
- I used burned incense stick to make holes in the lid.
- Make two holes for fixing the socket, two holes to pass the wire and get it out from the top and another two holes to fix the lamp shade to the base. Refer the image.
- Pass the wire through the center hole and get it out to the top from another hole. Fix the bulb socket at one end and the electric plug at the other end.
Step 4: To Make the Lamp Shade Frame-
- Decide the diameter of the lamp shade.
- The metal wire have sharp edges, please use safety gloves.
- Bend the metal wire and make rings as shown in the figure of the diameter needed. (I have covered one ring with yellow paper to create a visual difference and for easy understanding.)
- To give the lamp shade a cylindrical shape, join the metal rings with metal wires as shown.
- Your frame for the lamp shade is ready.
Step 5: To Join the Lamp Shade to the Base-
- Put on the lid.
- We need to make the lamp shade stand upright. For that connect two supports out of the metal wire, connecting the lamp shade to the base.
- To connect the supports to the lid, pass the wire through the holes we had made before and then bend it using pliers. Make at least 2 supports. Put tape over it as shown to prevent it from moving. The frame should stand perfectly.
Step 6: To Make the Lamp Shade-
- Use crepe paper to cover the frame. (You can use any other material like fabric, lace, etc)
- Fold the edges to the inside of the frame and stick it using glue.
- To hide the irregular sides, tie a thick satin ribbon as shown.
Step 7: Attach the Bulb-
And tadaaa...its DONE!
Did you like my project? If you did, please don't forget to vote for me. :D
Thank you. :)