Intro: Hand Painted Mason Jar Flower Vases
I found few mason jars lying around at my parents' place which were used to store honey. As it was Holiday season I thought of using them as flower vases. Another idea also came to my mind to hand paint these jars with 3-D out-liners and nail polishes to make them more attractive. The image you see here is the outcome of transforming those simple mason jars in to beautiful flower vases.
These hand-painted jars can also make a perfect gift for special events
Step 1: Materials Required
- Mason Jars
- Black and White paints (50 ml each)
- 1/2 inch Paint Brush
- About half a liter of Enamel Thinner
- Different colors of Fevicryl 3-D cone out-liners
- Different colors of Nail polishes
Step 2: Clean the Jars
The jars required cleaning and removing the labels.
- Place the jars in a pan and add water to entirely cover the jars.
- Keep them in water till the labels peel off from the bottle.
- Using a scrubber, remove any traces of paper or glue on the surface
- Allow the jars to completely dry before starting hand painting.
Step 3: 3-D Painting the Mason Jar
Now, using the Fevicryl 3-D out-liners, make designs on the outside of the jars.
- You can make outlines of any designs you like.
- The out-liners also can be used to fill designs.
- Allow enough time for the design to dry before starting on the other side
- You can cover the entire jar with any design you like using different colors
- After finishing, keep the jar in a safe place to dry
Now our Mason jar with hand-painted 3-D out-liners is ready
Step 4: Paint Inside the Jar
Painting the inside of Mason jars will make the designs more attractive
- Using an 1/2 inch brush, paint the inside of the jar. Here I have used white paint to cover the inside. You can use any color of your choice for this.
- Allow the paint to dry before using it as flower vase.
- Any paint stains on the rim of the jar can be removed with enamel thinner
- Wash the paint brush with the thinner after painting
Step 5: Black-paint the Jar for Nail Polish Sketch
I have used another jar for hand-painting with nail polish.
- Use black paint to cover the outer surface of the jar
- Allow the paint to completely dry
- Use the enamel thinner to clean the paint brush
Step 6: Paint With Nail Polish
- Using Nail polish make designs on the outer painted surface of the jar
- The nail polish dries up quickly, so use caution while painting
- Do not over-do or crowd the surface with designs
Now our Nail polish painted jar is ready
Step 7: Add Flowers
As the designs on both jars are completely dried, you can use them as flower vases.
Here, I have used these hand-painted jars as flower vases as part of our Christmas decoration.