Hand Powered Vacuum Chamber V.2

Introduction: Hand Powered Vacuum Chamber V.2

About: I worked in the motion picture & animation industry for over 15 years both here in the UK and USA. I like to think myself as an innovator, problem solver and a multi talented artist. Hopefully my instruct…

After the first version, I was running out small yogurt containers to use and the larger pots would not fit into it.

So when I came across this Ice bucket at a car boot sale and being larger, bigger and much more stronger than previous acrylic tube, I thought it would be a perfect upgrade.

Materials used: (Please see version one for links to some of the common materials used)

  • Double walled Ice bucket (I believe it is made of strong acrylic material)
  • Nozzle of a silicone sealant
  • Base for the ice bucket (any flat, smooth, strong material with at least 3mm thickness will do)
  • Silicone rubber
  • suction pump
  • one way valve
  • Clear PVC tubing
  • Circular grill (as a container for the silicone rubber)

Tools used:

  • scalpel knife
  • Dremel drill with cutting and drilling bits
  • Tapered reamer
  • small torch flame
  • Pair of scissors

CAUTION: When operating electrical equipment, always follow manufacturers safety instructions to protect yourself from possible accidents.

Step 1: Modification

I drilled a hole for the silicone nozzle and again, the ever useful tapered reamer came real handy.

Step 2: New Base

Because this was a much bigger container, I had a little bit difficulty finding a base for it. In the end managed to find this copper plate tucked away in my shed that I got for pennies from a carboot of previous years. Its diameter was larger than that of the bucket opening which was exactly what I was after. So now I had to create some kind of air tight barrier between it and the ice bucket. To do that I thought of using silicone rubber that I already had and the next task was to create a circular wall to pour the silicone rubber into.

As it happens, I had this circular metal mesh ring that my workplace chucked away when they've upgraded the light fixtures. Because it was few cm's too big, I cut the excess with a dremel and joined it with an aluminium insulation tape.

Step 3: Ready for the Silicone Rubber

After securing everything in place, mixed and poured in the silicone rubber.

Step 4: The Result

All looking good!

Step 5: Video Demonstration

Coming Soon!!!!!

Before and After Contest

Participated in the
Before and After Contest

Be the First to Share


    • Mason Jar Speed Challenge

      Mason Jar Speed Challenge
    • Bikes Challenge

      Bikes Challenge
    • Remix Contest

      Remix Contest