Introduction: Handheld Water Bottle Brush and Dustpan
Welcome to my Instructable for creating a handheld brush and dustpan set out of water bottles! Here's what you'll need to get started:
- 2 large SmartWater bottles
- 2 large Fiji bottles
- 20 regular-size water bottles (pictured)
- 2 travel size plastic bottles
- Kitchen scissors (and an exacto knife, if you have one)
- Hot glue gun
Ready? Let's go!
Step 1: Creating the Fringe
- Cut the bottom and top of the regular-size water bottle off, leaving just a cylinder.
- Cut the down the center, creating two smaller cylinders. Then cut those cylinders in half, creating "half cylinders."
- Cut fringe out of the "half cylinders," leaving approximately a half an inch of the plastic connected at the top.
- Repeat with all of your regular-size water bottles.
Step 2: Assembling the Brush Bristles
- Glue the connected half inch sections of the fringed water bottles together, stacking them as you go. Repeat for half of the water bottle sections cut.
- Then, repeat for the other half.
- In total, you should have two equal-sized stacks of bristles.
- Face the concave ends of the two stacks towards each other. Coat one of the concave sides in hot glue, and attach the two stacks.
- Cut two long strips out of the SmartWater bottle. Wrap one strip around each side of the top of the bristles to hold them together.
Step 3: Adding the Brush Handle
- Cut a long oval out of a SmartWater bottle that matches the size of the top of the bristles.
- Cut a hole in the center of the oval, enough to fit the mouth of a travel-size bottle.
- Fit the travel size bottle into the hole, gluing around the connection.
- Glue the oval to the top of the bristles.
- Congrats - you've created your brush! Now onto the dustpan!
Step 4: Creating the Dustpan Frame
- Cut the top off of one Fiji bottle.
- Cut down two diagonally opposite edges of the remaining bottle.
- Cut diagonally across the bottom of the bottle, connecting the two previous cuts. Note that the bottom of Fiji water bottles are tough to cut, so you can make a curved cut if that's easier.
- You'll be left with two identical halves. Align them so the bottoms are facing away from each other.
Step 5: Adding the Dustpan Handle
- Cut a hole just left of center in the bottle half whose bottom is facing left. Make sure the hole will fit the mouth of the remaining travel-size bottle.
- Nestle this bottle half into the other. (They should somewhat interlock.) Trace the hole onto the uncut bottle half. Then cut out this hole.
- Re-stack the bottles, and fit the travel bottle into the hole. Glue the connection, and then glue the two layers of the dustpan together along the edges.
Step 6: You're Finished!
Congratulations - you did it! Enjoy your new handheld brush and dustpan!