The AllSeasoned Dutch BBQ team entered a culinary BBQ competition. As a BBQ team consisting of friend who like to play with fire and maybe even some occasional cooking, We had to make a dish with turkey breast.
Normally we only enter KCBS competitions so doing turkey breast in a competition was a serious challenge for us. But we like challenges! So no ribs and brisket this time but something completely different!
I find that Turkey breast has the risk to dry out fast, so I tried different roulades to keep the moisture in. Several practice attempts turned out to be dry and not worthy of a contest, so back to the drawing board. And then I came up with the following idea….
For this dish I tried to incorporate multiple flavours and textures all together in one dish. Sour, sweet, salty, spicy, soft, airy and crunchy at the same time. You can make all kinds of variations with the use of other spices and ingredients.
- 1 kg turkey breast (you can also use chicken)
- 200 gram MonChou (cream cheese)
- 100g unsalted butter
- 2 limes (both zest and juice)
- 3 eggs
- 5 spring onions
- Filo pastry
- Black sesame seeds
- Cayenne pepper
- Smoked Paprika powder
- Salt / pepper
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Preparation; Filopastry
To form the buckets or cupcakes you start with the filo pastry.
- Melt the butter in a pan without letting it brown. Once it has melted remove it from the heat source. (either a stove, or like we did on the BBQ!)
- Add a half table spoon of smoked paprika to the butter, or more to taste if you like.... This will give the pastry a red colour. And then add half a teaspoon of cayenne pepper to give it some heat. For the chilli heads out there, add more if you like it hot!
- Butter the cupcake mold so that the filo pastry doesn’t stick to the mold when backed. Take a sheet of filo pastry and brush it with the butter mixture on both sides. You want three layers of filo pastry per cup for the best effect and crunch. You could even put some sesame seeds between the layers of pastry for colour and taste.
- When you layer the pastry in the mold, use a fork to make some holes in the bottom to prevent them from puffing up.
- When you filled the entire mold bake it for 5 minutes in the oven or in our case the BBQ. Set the temperature at 180-200 degrees Celsius (350-395 Fahrenheit). This will ensure that the containers are crunchy when the dish is done.
Step 2: The Filling / Turkey Mixture
- Mince the turkey breast together with the Monchou (cream cheese) in the food processor with the zest and juice of limes and salt and pepper.
- Split three eggs and beat the egg whites in a separate bowl until firm.
- Finely chop the spring onions and add to the mixture, then fold in the egg whites and black sesame seeds. The spring onions will provide some bite and colour to the dish.
If you use a pastry bag you can easily fill the filo cups with the mixture.
- fill the already backed cups with the mixture.
Bake the filled cups in the oven or BBQ for roughly 20 minutes, until ready. Set the temperature at 180-200 degrees Celsius (350-395 Fahrenheit)
Step 3: Choices of Toppings
While searching for recipes with turkey you will find a lot of Christmas classics with cranberry. It provides a sweet taste, no matter which option you choose. It also gives a nice visual effect it will resemble a cupcake or ice cream.
I have found three ways to make the topping, I find the first option to be the most beautiful. There is a lot of loss of material. The second option requires a cream syringe or siphon and gives a very high yield. The third option is possible with a whisk, blender or siphon. If you do not have a siphon or similar you will have to choose option 1 or 3.
With the first option you have to add some sweetness. For this use some honey and add a little pinch on top of the mixture. This will melt in the dish and gives a nice effect. Even if u only use a little bit, you will taste it. You can skip this with the 2nd and 3rd option, these toppings are a lot sweeter.
- Cranberry juice
- Soy lecithin
Put the cranberry juice into a bowl, add half a tablespoon of soy lecithin. Use a blender until it forms a light foam. Once the cups are ready, scoop a spoonful of foam on the dish. And finished!
Option 2 (Make this at least 2 hours in advance)
- Cranberry syrup 0.5Liter
- 4 leaves of gelatine
Soak the gelatine leaves in cold water for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, heat the syrup, to a maximum of 50 degrees. Squeeze the gelatine, and dissolve in the hot syrup. Once the gelatine has dissolved, you can put this in the siphon. Use a strainer when decanting. Put a N2O canister on the syphon and shake vigorously. Place the siphon in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours to set.Once the cups are finished, spray the foam on the dish, and sprinkle some black sesame seeds on. And finished!
- Cranberry syrup 0.5Liter
- Whipped cream 250ml (not sweetened)
This is very simple, you make whipped cream with cranberry syrup. The cream will ensure the airiness, and the cranberry syrup is for sweetness and a little colour. sprinkle some black sesame seeds on when done.
I hope you enjoyed this instructable. It’s my first so tips are more then welcome!