Introduction: Head-to-toe Ensemble From Old T-shirts!
Take your throw-away t-shirts and turn them into a fashionable head-to-toe look! T-shirts are SOOOO versatile! Come see how I did it!
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: You Will Need
For this head-to-toe ensemble, you will need:
- Modge Podge (homemade is fine)
- Fabric scissors (sharp)
- Dollar store flip flips
- At least 4 old T-Shirts
- Needle and thread
- Jewelry molds
- Glitter Glue (Stickles is best)
- Long shoe lace
- hot glue/gun
- earring studs (dollar/craft store)
Step 2: Pick and Prep Your T-Shirts
These t-shirts were all bound for the trash, holes, stains and ill fits :(
But then I saw this challenge, and decided to turn these tees into a cute summer outfit, perfect for the beach!
- When picking your tees, be sure they are clean
- Also make sure there are no visible stains on the skirt area (bottom part of whatever tee you choose)
Step 3: Headband!
This is a simple 2-prong headband, SO EASY!
- Make T-shirt yarn, cut thin strips, and pull tight
- Braid three pieces
- Leave one piece free and decorate with glitter glue
- Let glue dry
- Pull both pieces around head to measure fit
- Tie and cut off excess string
- Put on, and separate pieces for pronged look!
Step 4: Jewelry!!! Bling From Old Tees!
For the jewelry I decided to make a statement necklace as well as earrings.
I used a Modge Podge and fabric mulch method. See Video for more detailed instructions!
- Cut fabric into very fine pieces creating a mulch
- Mix mulch with Modge Podge 2 to 1 ratio (Mulch being 2)
- Push wet mulch into jewelry molds
- Let dry overnight
- Make Faux Chain using grey T-shirt yarn and glitter glue
- Decorate dry pieces with glitter glue, varying shade works best
- Glue pieces to chain (super glue is best, but hot glue will work as well
- Glue backings to earrings (backings are from broken pair of earrings)
Step 5: Diamond Back Top
- Find the middle of the back of your Tee
- Fold length-wise
- Use a book to guide your cutting in a diamond pattern
- Cut about half inch strips
Loop the fabric (See Video!)
Add details to top
- Loop sleeves
- Butterfly stitch neckline
- Cut off bottom of Tee
Step 6: Skirt!
- Cut straight across beneath arm pit area
- Turn upside down
- Locate middle of hem
- Add 2 small slits
- Feed through shoe lace
- For bottom breaded look do the same looping from (video)
Step 7: Beach Bag!
I loved the pattern of this Tee, so I'm so glad it now has new life as my summer beach bag!
- Cut across beneath arm area
- Cut strip for handle
- Sew handle to bag
- Sew bottom of bag
Step 8: Faux Grecian Sandals
I love the look of Grecian sandals, but they can get a bit pricey. Here's a fun way to take cheap flip flops and turn them into Grecian Sandals, using you guessed it...T-shirt material!
- Cut long strips of material and pull tight (to make thick yarn)
- Make sure the color of the Tee and the flip flops match
- Loop yarn over toe divider, and across front of foot
- Keep crossing back and forth, until you get the desired look
- Pull taught, and tie in back of knee
Step 9: Enjoy Your Creations!
I think this is a perfect outfit to wear as a a swimsuit cover, so hit the beach, and feel good that you created something new from something bound for the trash! Happy creating!
If you liked this Instructable Please vote for me for the T-shirt contest~
Runner Up in the
T-Shirt Transformations Challenge
Runner Up in the
Trash to Treasure Challenge
Participated in the
DIY Summer Camp Challenge