Introduction: Headband From Recycled T-Shirt
Headbands have been a big thing lately and I wanted to try my hand at making some headbands of my own. I had an old t-shirt that I was getting rid of so I thought it would be a great time to try this new project.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Supplies
You will need the following:
A T-shirt - Something you no longer use and are willing to cut up
Scissors - to cut the fabric
A sewing machine
Step 2: Cut Fabric
Start by cutting 2 long strips of fabric. - 6" by about 22" depending on your head size. An average head is 22-23" so the majority of people can get away with this measurement. If you know your head is abnormally large or small it might be beneficial to measure your head before starting.
Step 3: Fold and Sew
1. Fold each piece in half along the long side (hot dog style). Make sure the wrong side of the fabric(the side you don't want to see at the end) is right sight up.
2. Sew all the way up the long side where the two ends meet.
3. When they are done you can turn the right side out. (to the side you want to see at the end)
Step 4: Fold Pieces Together
1. Lay the sewn pieces down so they make the shape of an X.
2. Now fold each side in half so they look like U connected on the bottoms. Make sure when you fold them you pay attention to where the seam is. Fold the fabric so the seams are facing each other and not the outside so they will not show in the final product.
NOTE: Play around with how the two bands wrap together. You might come up with a cool new knot.
Step 5: Sew Together
1. carefully pick up the fabric and bring the 4 ends together. and sew together
NOTE: I sewed this seam a few times so that it would not come out even with a lot of wear.
2. After sewing the end, cut any excess fabric away.
Step 6: Wear
This is a great headband. I plan to wear it to the gym and whenever I need something easy to keep my hair out of my eyes.
Enjoy your new headband!
Participated in the
Hair and Makeup Contest