A steaming bowl of chicken soup is a welcome meal on a cold day, but it brings more to the table than just flavor. The hot liquid will help soothe a sore throat and keep nasal passages moist. And a hearty chicken and barley soup packed with vegetables may also ease such cold and flu symptoms as congestion and coughs.
This soup helps you recover fast from illness.It is very healthy and highly nutritious soup loaded with goodness of barley..!!
Also its not just healthy but a delicious soup.. :)
This recipe will serve 4 persons.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Ingredients
- Chicken legs - 2
- Onion - 1 (medium)
- Carrots - 2 (medium)
- Rolled oats - 1/2 cup
- Sweet corn kernels - 1/2 cup
- Cucumber - 1 (small) (de-seeded and cubed)
- Coriander - 1 tbsp
- Corn flour - 1/2 tbsp
- Bay leaf - 1
- Peppercorns - 5-7
- Olive oil/butter - 2 tbsp
- salt to taste
- pepper powder - 1/4 tsp
- water - 10 cups
Step 2: Prepare the Stock
- wash chicken well.
- Peel,wash and cut carrots into 1 inch batons.
- Peel,wash and slice onions.
- take seven cups of water in a heavy bottom vessel, add bay leaf,peppercorns ,carrots,onions and chicken legs.
- boil on medium heat, removing scum from time to time.
- cook for around half an hour on medium heat.
- strain the stock and keep it aside.
- take the chicken and shred the meat.
- discard bay leaf and peppercorns.
- roughly mash carrots and onions.
and dissolve the corn flour in 1 cup water.
Step 3: Make the Soup
- Heat 2 tbsp of olive oil or butter in another pan on low heat.(I used olive oil to make the soup healthy)
- saute the sweet corn kernels for 3 mins.
- drain water from soaked oats.
- add oats to the pan and cook for 5 mins.
- add reserved stock and continue cooking for another half an hour.
- season with salt and pepper powder.
- add shredded chicken and mashed carrots n onions to the oats mixture and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- add dissolved corn flour,cook for a minute and remove from heat.
- add chopped coriander and stir.
- serve piping hot , garnished with cubes of cucumber.
Stay healthy..! :)