These instructions will help you to begin learning how to cook a simple, healthy meal that can be made quickly and inexpensively for yourself or the whole family. By the end of this, you will be able to prepare a healthy meal in an hour, and hopefully some leftovers.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Gather Your Ingredients
For this recipe, you will need:
- 2-3 chicken breasts (tenderloins are good for portioning, but the full breast will work too)
- 1 fresh green pepper
- 1 large sweet onion
- 1 zucchini
- 1 yellow squash
- Italian salad dressing (enough to cover chicken breats when marinating)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- salt and pepper to season
Feel free to add any additional veggies to the recipe that you may enjoy! (Tomatoes, Red peppers, etc.)
This recipe will make 4 servings.
Step 2: Marinate the Chicken
Note: The chicken can marinate while you prepare the veggies
1. Prepare your chicken by rinsing it in a strainer and cutting off any additional fat that may remain.
- this is optional, but I would recommend at least rinsing off the chicken
2. Place the chicken breast in a large plastic bag, and pour enough Italian salad dressing in the bag so that it thoroughly covers all of the chicken.
3. Close the bag and squish the chicken around with the marinade to ensure an even coating.
4. Let it sit in the marinade for at least 20 minutes
- It can stay in the marinade for as long as you would like, but 20 minutes is enough to get the flavor into the chicken
If you decide to let it sit for more that 20 minutes, place the bag in the refrigerator to ensure freshness and avoid salmonella
Step 3: Prepare the Veggies
1. Wash your vegetables
2. Chop up the onions and peppers into 1/4 inch slivers
- can be smaller or larger depending on personal preference
3. Dice squash and zucchini
Step 4: Cook the Veggies
1. Put olive oil in a large skillet and turn on the burner to medium low heat
2. Put the onions in the pan once the pan has warmed up
3. Season with salt and pepper
4. Stir the onions periodically to ensure even cooking for 5 minutes or until they start to brown
5. Throw in the peppers, zucchini, and squash
6. Throw in 1 tbsp of butter
7. Season with salt and pepper
8. Cook the veggies, stirring occasionally until they are a bit soft but still maintain a firm shape
9. Remove veggies from the pan and place them in a bowl
Step 5: Cook the Chicken
1. Increase the heat on the pan to medium heat
2. Remove the chicken from the marinade and place in the skillet.
3. Cook the chicken for 8 minutes on each side
- may take longer or shorter depending on how large the pieces are
4. Remove the chicken from the pan and cut into 1/2 inch strips
- this is a good time to make sure the chicken is cooked all the way through to avoid salmonella
Step 6: Assemble the Ingredients and Extra Notes
Note: This dish can be served as fajitas or over rice or lettuce to make it a more substantial meal if you are interested.
1. Place veggies and chicken on a plate.
2. Pour Italian salad dressing (or whatever dressing you may enjoy) on the dish
- this pertains more to if you decide to serve the dish over lettuce to make a salad