Introduction: Healthy Sweet Potato Chocolate Brownie
In this instructable I will show you how you can make sweet potato chocolate brownies. Brownies are delicious, but a lot of recipes contain a lot of butter and sugar. But not this recipe in which we use sweet potato as the base. Sweet potato is a great ingredient as it adopts the flavors that you combine it with. The brownies will not taste like sweet potato. The main reason to use sweet potato is to give the brownies lots of texture and a moist base.
This brownie recipe is completely dairy free, eggless and sugar free. I have substituted all of these ingredients with healthy alternatives like:organic spelt flour, apple sauce, medjool dates, agave syrup and vanilla extract.
You start by baking the sweet potato in the oven until soft on 425℉ and mash them into a purée. You need a good blender to combine all of the ingredients into a smooth mixture. Put this mixture in a small baking dish while you pre-heat the oven at 375 ℉. As chocolate and nuts go together perfectly I like to add pecan nuts and chunks of chocolate to make it extra yum.
Then it only requires about 30 minutes of oven time before you can take a bite of the delicious healthy sweet potato chocolate brownie.
Step 1: Watch the One Minute Video
Want to see how to make the sweet potato chocolate brownies? Watch the 1-minute food inspiration video.
Step 2: What Do You Need to Make This Recipe
To make eight brownies you need the following ingredients:
- 2 baked sweet potatoes
- 100 gram of spelt flour
- 100 gram apple sauce
- 4 tablespoons of agava syrup
- 6 pitted medjool dates
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 pinch of salt
- ¼ cup cacao
- pecan nuts
- ½ cup of chocolate
Step 3: Instructions
- Heat the oven at 425℉
- Put the sweet potato in aluminium foil and bake it for 45 minutes until soft.
- Mash the sweet potatoes and put it aside.
- Put the sweet potato in the blender and add flour, apple sauce, agave syrup, pitted dates, vanilla extract, baking powder, baking soda, salt and the cacao.
- Blend on low speed into a smooth mixture.
- Put the mixture into a baking dish and spread evenly.
- Crunch the pecan nuts and chocolate.
- Pre-heat the oven at 375℉.
- Decorate the brownie with the crunched pecan nuts and chocolate.
- Bake the brownie for 25 - 30 minutes. Check if the brownies are ready. You can use a toothpick for this. Stitch a toothpick in the brownie, if the toothpick comes out clean the brownies are ready.
- Cut into eight peices and serve.
Step 4: Notes
I hope you enjoy this recipe! If you tried out this recipe or have some suggestions then let me know via the comments.
More information and a printable recipe can be found on The Tortilla Channel.