These delicious Whole Wheat Blueberry Muffins are a healthier alternative to classic “bakery style” muffins. With wholesome ingredients, these muffins are so simple to make and don’t require any fuss or fancy mixers.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Ingredients
¼ cup butter, melted and cooled
¼ cup canola oil (or melted coconut oil)
½ cup Greek yogurt
1 cup buttermilk
2 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups + 1 tbsp whole wheat flour
¾ cup organic cane sugar (or coconut sugar)
4 tsp baking powder
1½ cup blueberries, fresh or frozen (if frozen, do not thaw)
OPTIONAL: Almond Topping
¼ cup whole wheat flour
2 tbsp brown sugar (or coconut sugar)
1½ tsp cinnamon
¾ cup raw almonds, chopped
2 tbsp butter, softened
Step 2: Prepare Batter
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Lightly grease muffin tins and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk butter, oil, yogurt, buttermilk, eggs, and vanilla.
- In a medium bowl, sift 2 cups flour, sugar, and baking powder.
- Fold dry ingredients into wet just until combined. IMPORTANT: Do NOT overmix!
- Toss blueberries with remaining 1 tbsp flour and vey gently fold into batter.
Step 3: Almond Topping
For the topping, combine all flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, almonds, and butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over filled muffin cups and gently press to adhere topping to batter.
Step 4: Bake
- Fill prepared muffin cups to brim with batter.
- Bake muffins at 425 degrees F for 5 minutes, then reduce heat to 375 degrees and continue baking 15-17 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool muffins in pan 10 minutes, then transfer to wire cooling rack.