Remember when you were a kid and you loved watching that chocolate topping harden on your ice cream? Wouldn't it be great if you could find a healthy version of that so you have fantastic, guilt free dessert? Me too, and this is it! Not to mention the bonus: it has no hard to pronounce additives!
I have enjoyed making this version of vegan ice cream in the summer, but then realised I could make it even better! Why not make a chocolate topping similar to that found at the ice cream parlour for dipped cones (or the Magic shell product you can buy at the store).
Here's what you'll need to make yourself this healthy version of this dessert:
- 1-2 Bananas (I like to use them when they are fairly ripe)
- 1 TBSP Coconut oil
- 1 tsp Cocoa powder
- Optional: Sweetener to taste (rice syrup, honey, or similar)
- Optional: Almond butter
Also a few tools would be handy:
- A blender (I use a Nutribullet, or magic bullet)
- A cookie sheet (lined with tin foil or wax paper)
- A butter knife
- A spoon
Step 1: Prepare Your Bananas
The reason this ice cream is vegan is it is made from frozen bananas. They create an incredible, delicious and creamy substitute.
How to prepare and freeze your bananas:
- peel banana
- cut into slices
- put sliced bananas on cookie sheet (lined with tin foil or wax paper)
- put into the freezer for 4 hours or until frozen
Step 2: Make Your Magic Shell
Meanwhile you can make your magic shell chocolate topping.
- Melt your coconut oil to make it liquid (you can use a stove top, or microwave for 10 second intervals until melted)
- Once melted, mix in your cocoa powder
- Set aside until your bananas are ready
- To melt your coconut oil you have a number of options:
- use a saucepan on the stove
- put it in a microwave safe dish and put it in the microwave for 10 second intervals
Step 3: Make Your 'ice Cream' and Put It All Together.
Make your (n)ice cream by removing your frozen bananas and putting them in the blend your bananas until they are smoothly blended.
Bonus tip: If you want a special flavour of ice cream, now is the time to make it happen. (Add in your rocky road ingredients, or vanilla etc.). I decided to make this particular batch into almond banana ice cream by adding a dollup of almond butter and re-blending. This flavour combo idea is sparked thanks to another instructable by thevegetarianbaker.
Once well blended, scoop out your ice cream, then drizzle your magic shell on top. It will harden! (magic!!)
Voila, you've got dessert! Enjoy!